Pairing A4 or Rytm with Machinedrum?

I knew this day would come, I’m very happy with my mduw but now kinda want the A4 back. For my setup the md is completely necessary as a drum machine and midi-ing out to all my other synths. For anyone who has a machinedrum as well as an A4 or Rytm, which one do you feel pairs best with the md?

I’m looking more for a synth to pair with my md, but realize that the A4 can do drum sounds and the Rytm can do synth sounds. It is four tracks vs eight tracks, any input?

The A4 is a better drum synth than the AR is a synth.

Indeed! I would also add that the A4 is a better drum synth than the AR is a drum synth.

Sure, the A4 has more of a voice limitation, but you do have sound locks. I consistently have as many as 10 or 12 different sounds coming out of my A4 thanks to sound locks. And those sounds can be made far more interesting with the pair of filters, 3 envelopes, and 2 LFOs than what the Rytm can do with them.

I find the strength in Rytm comes from layering samples with drum synth sounds, and the combination of the performance/scene modes.

Considering you already have a drum machine, I would recommend the A4.

Sure, the A4 has more of a voice limitation, but you do have sound locks. I consistently have as many as 10 or 12 different sounds coming out of my A4 thanks to sound locks. And those sounds can be made far more interesting with the pair of filters, 3 envelopes, and 2 LFOs than what the Rytm can do with them.

I find the strength in Rytm comes from layering samples with drum synth sounds, and the combination of the performance/scene modes.

Considering you already have a drum machine, I would recommend the A4.[/quote]
I was coming to the same conclusions. You said the A4 is a better drum synth than the Rytm? Is the Rytm more limited in its analog machines? I don’t have any personal experience with it.

It does have more limited synthesis.
Still a great machine, though.

AR is more immediate but the A4 is deep. Once you get the flow with the A4 you realise just how capable it is!
In your shoes I’d go for the A4 without question :slight_smile:

Ended up picking up the A4 today. Played with the rytm a bit, it sounded really good overall. Anyway to get those rytm hihats in the A4?