Panda Bear “Person Pitch”

I had no idea that Panda Bear made “Person Pitch” with basically just a 303. Blows my mind.

Anyone like this album and listen to it recently? I heard him perform some of it live in a 2007 show and it sounds so cool. I dunno, just feeling this album lately.

13 Likes

<3 this is one of my favorites too. There’s a great picture of his bedroom studio in the CD insert.

4 Likes

It’s gorgeous and psychedelic and weird and wonderful.

I see two SP-303s in that pic.

1 Like

the liner artwork for the album is also great and suits the music really well. By this artist named Agnes Montgomery.

1 Like

Yeah he’s got two 303s here.

January 2005!

I see when he plays live now he has two octatrack mk1 and a boss space echo pedal.

1 Like

one of a good thing is never enough

4 Likes

Gorgeous. That’s what it’s all about - collage. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for this. One of my favorite albums, but never saw this photo. Lots of good interviews about his headspace fromt his era. Think I recall reading one where he said he was heavilly influced by J DILLA Donuts/MADLIB , and fell in love with the 303 reverb. He collected loops for months before making this and had the second one for processing his voice thru the Reverb! Super inspiring album, I will try to find the interviews and edit my post with them!

9 Likes

Makes me miss my 303 even more :disappointed:

3 Likes

Ahh! An SP-303! Loved this album back I the day and was failing at first to understand/recall where acid bass lines entered the picture lol…

1 Like

An amazing album the way he take influences and creates something totally new, Person Pitch influenced by dilla and mad villain, buoys being influenced by the low end on trap, all with that pretty voice

1 Like

Amazing record. I loved it. His voice really makes it special though. Very unique melodic ideas. Damn this is almost 20 years old. Just crazy.

2 Likes

Well there’s one more thing he used besides the 303s and that’s…a DAW. Hate to say it bc there’s so much DAWless talk around all the time but this amount of organization, detail, careful mixing (which was done by Rusty Santos) was all done in the computer. In fact I’d go so far as to say that the recording part of it is more important than the 303 part of it but we tend to ignore those details at times. Regardless gorgeous album, hugely inspiring. Have listened to it thousands of times now!

2 Likes

Valid and wonderful point. As a long time sp 303 user, maybe it ear placebo, but i hear the 303 footprint all over the album I.e Sample rate modes/effects, especially the reverb.

From what I read (interviews) he compiled a bunch of samples on his cpu + sp-303, then combined a bunch via resample into long chunks of loops on the 303. In the interview he says"

** Is the actual album mostly samples or is it live instrumentation? **

It’s, like, all samples. I mean, I did make some of the samples myself. Recorded myself playing guitar, singing and stuff like that, but it’s all buttons being pushed and sounds being played.

I’m surprised, as it has a very organic sound.** I’m glad to hear you say that because I worked really hard to make it sound that way and not just like a bunch of things looping.

Did you record everything with a Boss Sp 303 (digital sampler)?**

Yeah, two of them. That’s what I’ll be playing with tonight.

SOURCE: DiS meets Panda Bear / In Depth // Drowned In Sound

4 Likes

This makes sense! I assumed a lot was done outside the 303. But man, it’s still quite the achievement! Thanks for the extra details.

1 Like

Wonderful album. Pre-ordered it before it came out, and was obsessed with it for ages. I found/find most of his and Animal Collective’s stuff a bit tiresomely ‘wacky’, but this album is just the right balance of craziness/collage etc etc. Near perfection

4 Likes