Pedals for drum machines

So a few weeks ago I picked up an RD9. It’s a nice sounding drum machine that is fun to program, but I need a bit more from the sound. I need to dirty it up a little and make the sounds slam and growl a bit more. An obvious contender is the AH but it’s twice the price of the RD9. I also need to keep things simple - I work without a computer and just with 2-3 bits of gear on my desk for my very own stay-at-home when the kids are in bed improvised techno party…

So, what pedals do you like using on your drums? All comments are welcome, but I’m mostly interested in hearing about your distortion/overdrive/preamp type stuff. Maybe you have a secret drum machine weapon, maybe you know about that classic Mackie desk in a pedal that’s been overlooked or maybe you are a gabber freak who knows how to make those kick drums slap (as the kids say these days). Sound examples appreciated if you have some.

Cheers

1 Like

Pedals only or rack fx?

Rack FX would also be interesting and possible.

Can’t speak to the slamming/growl-inducing stuff too much, but in the relatively experimental realm, I love what the Chase Bliss Audio MOOD can do to drums (and anything tbh). Link to a track that is only a Volca Drum into MOOD plus a chord from Digitone every 32 bars. Definitely shared elsewhere but aye, one of my first thoughts for pedals and drums.

Think I’ve seen mention on this forum but I like what I’ve heard of drums ran into the Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water for slightly driven, dusty tape vibe. Was reminded by Ricky Tinez’s most recent vid where he runs Syntakt through it.

2 Likes

Strymon Deco is really good, if you don’t mind too much your hats being grazed…

2 Likes

TC Electronic Fireworx.

Old but still a good multi effects option, with plenty of fx to smash, distort, compress.

• Expander/Gate
• Soft Compressor
• Hard Compressor/Limiter
• Resonance Filter · Bandpass Filter
• Phaser · Resonator · Resochord Filter
• Formant Filter
• Drive Distortion
• Cruncher Distortion
• Vocoder
• Ring Modulator
• Curve Generator Synth
• Chaos Generator Synth
• Noise Generator Synth
• Single Voice Pitch shift
• Dual Voice Pitch shift
• Classic Chorus
• Advanced Chorus
• Classic Flanger
• Advanced Flanger
• Stereo Delay
• Dual mono Delay
• Dual Three Tap Delay
• One Tap Delay
• Six Tap Delay
• Reverse Delay
• Reverb
• Advanced Reverb
• Simple Tremolo
• Advanced Tremolo
• Simple Panner
• Surround Panner
• Stereo Enhancer
• 5 band Parametric EQ
• 4 band modifiable parametric EQ
• Feedback Send
• Feedback Return
• Insert Send
• Insert Return

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tc-electronic-fireworx

The cheap old gabber way, I use on my kicks also a Sherman filterbank etc al kinds of distortion, the trick is layering :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I’ve used a Strymon Deco extensively on my Elektron Machinedrum and Digitakt. It adds a bit of punch / grit with the tape saturation and does a nice roll off of some of high frequencies. It’s pretty solid.

Nothing made my Acidlab Drumatix or TT-606 sound better than the Bogner Harlow transformer boost+comp
Search this forum for Harlow if you want to see existing discussion, hear examples.

I also quite like the Eventide Blackhole for a master density verb, but I am often tempted by dual serial reverb pedals from Source Audio and others.

1 Like

The only pedal i have… erica fusion box. (Apart from a4 1. difficult to find something a4 can not do, but always with a bit effort and not so big sweet spot)
im envious of that old mackie, i have a newer one, also stopped working ok.

Boss CS-3 is a bit of a cult classic pedal for drum machines, it is not like a regular compressor but it can give some real smack to the transients.

Digitech old multieffects can do wonders with any drum machine actually :wink:

EHX reverb gives awesome natural result with percussive sound. (and i don’t like them that much with guitars)

merys polymoon is great, can be elegant or total glitchiness. I suppose the new delay they just released should be awesome.

digitech are great too.

Got a fireworx too, very powerful, the macro button is not that hard to configure and can give awesome result. Most of algorythm are very powerful, but sound very unatural for me, can be awesome on some context. (was awesome to split a signal, sending the to different filters, and have different FX for the different layers).

Dreadbox has some demo videos for their Kinematic pedal in which they run various drum machines through it to pretty good effect. I used to slam my TR-606 and SR-16 through an old Boss HM-2 back in the day.

1 Like

HM-2 is a classic, also used by Prince back in the day. Also bass distortion pedals like Boss ODB-3 are great. Problem is, there are next to no stereo distortion pedals so a stereo filter or an old mixer would be better. Both cost a lot more than a used ODB-3.

EHX Platform pedal (Compressor/Limiter/Drive). It’s Stereo. Oh wait, ain’t the RD-9 only has Mono Output?

Correct

1 Like

Elektron Analog Drive works wonders on Drums

2 Likes

Had my eye on this guy for a while, and they’re only $100 through the end of April at Sweetwater (US):

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Overlord--electro-harmonix-operation-overlord-allied-overdrive-pedal

This is the video that sold me on it:

1 Like

Maybe a Vermona Retroverb? Very cool and unique color box.