Per-Step Muting Problem

Hello, I’m still working on my MD iPad app…

So today I’m playing with Step Probability for the Machinedrum, by syncing my app’s sequencer to the MD clock and then muting and unmuting tracks on a per-step basis by sending appropriate CC messages at the right time.

It works stable and at any BPM which is cool!

Unfortunately, I can’t get individual steps to mute, which makes the whole thing a bit meh.

Try it yourself: Set the MD to a nice and slow 30.0 BPM, fill a track with 16th trigs, hit play and then try to toggle the muting for the track so that only a single step is muted. To me it seems that the minimum number of consecutive steps that can be muted, is 2.

Am I missing something? A workaround would be to use the track volume for this, but that would have less than optimal results. I want to mute trigs, not cutting the audio volume…

Any of you know of a better workaround?

My first guess would be songmode.
but… i think the minimum-length of a pattern cut to pieces in the song-mode-editor is 2 steps… However… i think it will just play the first step
so in your song-editor try this: put your pattern 16 times in your song-editor
mute a few steps in the patterns… and set patternlength to 2… startingpoint
should be step 1 for first pattern… step2 for second pattern step3 for third pattern… Play this back… and it should mute some steps just for 1 step…

use song-mode to create small loops… and jump from songloop to songloop…

I hope it works… it does on the octatrack, if you try something like changing scene per step… as in… setup your octa as described above…
change scene-A in all patterns in arranger… leave fader on left-side
play back patterns… each step will play other scene. and you get this aphex-twin-vibe glitchy shit :slight_smile:

good thinking… :slight_smile:

but I want this feature of the app to be simple to use; it’s not for myself but for users of the app… so it must be “plug and play”, making special songs is out of the question in this case…

Ah yes.

the app-part of your question… i see your point… it will not work for an app.
whoops, kinda read over that part :slight_smile:

In that case, got no clue how to solve it…