Performance flight cases?

I am very close to ordering the UDG one but the only thing that currently stops me is that I dont see how to manage the power supplies.

@DaveMech did you keep some pictures of how you did it with the Gorilla case ?

On the UDG there are 2 foam layers, is it similar ? Where/how did you attach the power stripes ?

Where your boxes placed on the lower later? or attached somewhere in some way?

Thanks !

Yeah 2 layers of foam. Simply put the power strip in the back on the bottom. And make gaps in the bottom layer for the PSU’s. Plenty of room to do so. Then cut out room for your instruments out of the top layer.
Only thing to take care of to make things look neat is to level the instruments. You can use pieces of the left overs of the foam to do this for example. Or with some simple wood work or other material :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok thanks again ! And there is no risk of overheating for the power supplies and the power strip with the foam?

Nope :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok thanks for all these answers and tips ! You ended convincing me !

Ordered the UDG today ! I’ll let you know how it works :slight_smile:

Anyone have some advice about a reliable power strip for that kind of use ?

Does anyone know of a US supplier of those UDG cases? That 2XL case looks like the perfect size but doesn’t appear to be available here. I could order one from Europe but it would be great to find it in the US (or something comparable with the same basic dimensions).

The Micromonsta and the Torso fit really well next to each other!

1 Like

I posted my flight case setup earlier in this thread. It suited me well so far :wink:

2 Likes

Hey, I was just wondering, how is your workflow with this setup? you got a drum machine (DT) and one synth. You got any additional looper or how do you play?

Finished my fully battery powered portable flight case. Now with speakers and mini-amp and also Bluetooth MIDI (CME) to connect with my ipad.

7 Likes

Here is my first attempt.

As you can see, I suck at cables management … and still gotta connect the usb from the boxes to the hub. So every advice to optimize the cables management is welcome :slight_smile:

I first wanted to put the power supplies in the bottom foam layer but I was affraid it was going to heat too much.

This is the 2XL UDG case and it’s still a bit too small (ie the power cable of the A4 is a bit crushed and I am not comfortable with it) …

4 Likes

Permanent set of cables for your case using plastic or Velcro zip ties.

2 Likes

Still looks pretty good! Thanks for sharing this somewhat more messy example - comes a bit closer to how I imagine my first try would be when I ever try it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well done !

If you want to make it more neat, put the PSU’s within the bottom layer for starters :). No need to have those in view.

And in stead of the angled plugs pointing up, point them down. Then have the cables go over the floor of the case.

Another thing to try is to place the boxes right next to each other. You save a lot of space that way so you might be able to add something in the future. You can have the 3 Digis next to each other easily for example.

If you ever want to start over or try again you can get those pluck foam panels separately.

3 Likes

Yes I already bought one pack (for 50 bucks :joy:)

As I wrote earlier, I first started to make room for the psu on the bottom layer but then was affraid it would heat too much. Do you think it should be ok ?

I also made an attempt with the Digi in one line but then I hadn’t enough space for the A4 (the power cable of the left Digi was too long). Thats the only solution I found… (and thats also why I didnt put the DT and ST close to each other)

Would have been a better look for sure :frowning:

Thanks for the advice with the angled cables, I could give it a try soon ! But I won’t buy one more pack of foam so I need to be sure thé e second is the last one :joy:

Never have worried about that and never had any issues with it :slight_smile: they do not become that warm and the foam is not that dense. It’s made to regulate heat.

Measure everything and make a drawing to make sure. :grinning:

2 Likes

thank you for all the help ! I’ll think about it and be sure to don’t miss anything this time.

Do you know if there are angled adapters that could work with the Elektron PSU’s ?could be helpfull !

1 Like

Not sure really. Possibly :slight_smile:

There are, I used two for my case :wink:

2 Likes