Performance flight cases?

Oh nice ! So bad this one seems to be out of stock :frowning:

The 50cm version is still in stock for about the same price, but I agree the 10/20cm ones are more convenient. You can probably find similar cables somewhere else though.

1 Like

I ordered the 50cm ones cause I couldn’t find anything similar with smaller sizes… Still looking for some cause 4x50cm will get a lot of more cables management issues :smiley:

btw, after re-reading it, I saw this : “PAS POUR UNE UTILISATION SUR SECTEUR - BASSE TENSION CC UNIQUEMENT !!” (“NOT FOR MAINS USE - LOW VOLTAGE DC ONLY!!”) ; is that OK ?

Yes, it’s safe as the Digi supply is 12V DC.

Just got my new foam pack but I am still waiting for the needed cables/adapters to get everything ready.

For your info, There are 2 foam layers with 2 different heights :

I had to put the bigger one below cause it was too high for the boxes (bigger than their heights so it was’nt really conformtable to use).

I think I’ll keep it that way with the new (and final !) attempt.

I was wondering how you guys (especially @DaveMech & @sinedied) would manage the cables ?

I’ll put them downward using my angled cables/connectors and I’ll make “holes” in the below layer to put the PSU in them (and one for the powerstrip, of course); that means i’ll have 5 relatively big holes in the layer from below.

1. I am a bit affraid this will impact the boxes stability (as there will be “holes” in their foundation)
  2. I’ll have a lot of cables (and sadly, some long ones as I couldn’t find smaller cables); I can’t just put them on the “below layer” but I would like to avoid having more holes in this layer as it’s the one that will support all the boxes

Sorry to ask so many questions but I can’t miss this attempt (or the foam will cost the price of a new synth :smile:) and what you guys did was really clean and well built.

This photo shows a bit how the bottom layer works for my case:

Basically all power / cables / midi routing happens here, I made a few holes and lanes and pass the cables in the middle of the foam, and fit the extra cable length in holes.

2 Likes

nice ! Ok so that’s close of what I tought - holes for the PSUs and “lanes” between the foam when holes aren’t needed :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Have you guys experienced to take any of this case as a checked in luggage? I would stress that it gets damaged or lost.
So far i’m taking my stuff with me in the plane but it would be appealing to not have to be a donkey and have all connected ready to use.

Having heard the horror stories of how luggage is handled, I’ve so far opted for the donkey option.

These are not only stories, I’ve seen 200 years old instruments smashed in pieces.
It’s harder and harder to travel with fragile stuff and I have to empty my bag at each security check, nightmare. 22kg to carry on my back is as hard to manage concerning back issues than with the airlines staff who clearly don’t give a damn about their customers by allowing 7kg as a hand luggage.
As a result, I end up with 22kg as a hand luggage (guitar, OT, Babyface Pro, laptop, iPad, Microcosm, Nord Drum 3p, and a fair 5kg in the hold.

1 Like

7kg?
Damn that’s ridiculous. Here it’s around 12kg. But if you want to take a guitar you need to book an additional seat :grimacing:

Not a synth mule?

1 Like

i refuse to pay a seat for a guitar, that’s ridiculous. A cello i’d understand but the guitar is easily fitting in all the overheads.
Would be interesting to bring a performance case as a hand luggage.

Last time I flew to Berlin they had to check in some hand luggage. Asked me for my bag as well containing the beginnninfs of my modular. I kindly refused. Then got a speech about how overhead bin space is not guaranteed in economy class. Didnt have to check it in luckily but yeah, apparently have to go economy + to be in an early zone to get in the plane to be guaranteed a spot.

The f.

1 Like

I always avoid cheap companies like Ryan Air or Air Asia where you’d have to pay for pissing or drink a glass of water during a 2+ hours flight.
In the end you end up paying more for their “services” (really, reserving a ticket costs them fees?!) than for the flight itself.
So the game is to frighten you before the airport and to give you immense stress at the check in when they could probably manage to take care of fragile stuff when needed. I sometimes hide my guitar to check in, especially in western countries, less hassle.
Once in Canada they were about to put my guitar in the hold once i already was in the plane but apart from that you should be safe once you pass the check in.
I think they might be picky if they’d see you going in with a flight case although it could be reasonably sized.

slightly off topic

Once in Dehli, they refused me at the check in, let all the plane pass in front of me because of the guitar. I was here waiting like an idiot for my fate when the pilot asked what happened and told them he wanted me on board with my guitar. Another check at the door of the aircraft where they refused me but i told the pilot asked for me to board with my guitar and they could ask him. Good trick to reuse :wink:

1 Like

The things is that this was not a budget flight. It was KLM.

That sounds even worse yeah :confused:
The stress of having to reason people into letting me take my gear with me on the plane would be a bit too uncomfortable for me. I just try to keep things within a suit case with the right sizes and one accessory bag. It’s slightly bigger and much heavier than allowed but so far it hasn’t been an issue.

1 Like

With low cost companies, it is sure they gonna hassle but with “reputed” ones, it’s all about the person you’ll have to deal with. My biggest fights were with United Airlines and Air France.

1 Like

Air France is not a low cost company though (at least, not here). But yeah KLM (=air France) is not what it used to be unfortunately.

That’s what i meant, i had to struggle with companies which are not reputed as low cost.
In Europe, there was a package of laws including the possibility to guarantee you can carry an instrument in a plane but it was rejected every time. I guess business is good on their side.
Hard to find a compromise between portable/transportable case and solid enough to resist the mistreatment they inflict to the luggages.

1 Like

I dropped the 5-Powerbank-solution for a one Powerbank-Solution with 230V. Modded a 4x wall adapter with a euro-socket. Now it is completely noise-free and can be powered via outlet or powerbank.

6 Likes