Performance flight cases?

Sick! Seems a lot easier, also when you do have access to power you don’t have this stack of power banks but just this one that you can plug into the wall. Nice

1 Like

Great video as always. I am thinking of making something similar, but would leave it all together in/out of studio.

1 Like

And here is my 2nd version !

Big thanks to @DaveMech & @sinedied for your nice tips :slight_smile:

Still waiting for an audio adapter for the MM2 but everything is working and the cable management is OK now :slight_smile:

There are still USB cables out of the HUB cause everything is connected to my M1 MBP (so I just gotta plug the 4 cables in the hub as it’s done in the picture and it’s fully connected to Ableton) and the whole config also work “computerless” if needed as all the audio routing is done :slight_smile:

I am really happy with the final result, looks clean and works well ! Couldn’t have achieved it without your help so thank you all :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Mono out of Digitone into Syntakt ? Really like the colored angled cables. :slight_smile:

1 Like

NIce! Very well done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Midi : DT->ST->DN->A4->MM2

Audio : MM2->A4->DN->ST->DT

I wasn’t sure if I wanted the ST Master FX or the DT Compressor at the end of the chain… Still gotta figure it out :smiley: but at least the cables are there.

1 Like

Really nice! How does it feel when you’re carrying it around closed up? Do you think the case can handle the weight well enough?

And since the title of the thread is performance flight cases I have to ask….do you feel confident taking this on a flight?

I’m a very stressed person :slight_smile: so even at home I don’t really like carrying it around at the moment :smiley: I try to let it lay horizontally when possible. I think I’d be more confident leaving it “upright” (that’s obviously the position when I need to move it) after a few uses. I think I still have to reinforce some elements a little to be sure that the machines will not move at all

The 1st objective for me was to find a solution to a lack of space until my new studio is completely built. All I have to do is take the case down to my desk and plug in the power and I’m ready to produce.

But I have to say it’s pretty solid for that price.

That being said, I won’t be taking it on a plane. No problem taking it to gigs by car or train but knowing how luggage is handled in planes/airports, I wouldn’t take the risk.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. IIRC you got a good deal on a MK1. All I can find is the MK2 and with shipping to US it ends up being close to $300 but still probably worth it for local gigs and playing at a friends house. I wouldn’t take it on the plane either since it would have to go in cargo and that’s a definite no for me.

2 Likes

Oh I thought UDG was in the US… yeah 300 is a bit expensive, dunno if there are any cheaper alternative. (I don’t think I would have paid 300 bucks tbh but now I am happy with the result)

1 Like

As far as I have seen you can’t get a MK2 domestically in the US, and UDG stuff in general is not easily obtained here. It stinks because the MKII size is just about perfect for the case I have in mind, and, if it was available here for the prices they have on their website, would be a pretty good deal all things considered. May have to build one myself.

So, there’s no one here who would know or trust a flight case model to go as a checked in luggage? I wonder how touring musicians do, not the big stars who can just order what they want on every stage, the ordinary ones.

I’ve been using this rig for quite a bit, but i’m about to go back to the large Temple Trio 43 so I can add the Digitakt back into the mix, along with Blokas MidiHub (which I miss dearly).

6 Likes

is not in the flight case category, but I took a home depot rigid tool case for my live rig h90, conductive labs MRCC, 1010music boxes and my octatrack

5 Likes

Latest iteration of my Thon pedal board/case. The Techno System with cover and the 500 box are about the same hight. For transport, I add some high density foam blocks between/on top of the smaller boxes. It all fits under the pedal case lid.

For the next iteration, I might try to add my Torso T-1 and Micromonsta. There is some room left/to be gained from removing/rearranging the Palmer signal splitter (for the headphone and recording) and the headphone amp itself.

7 Likes

I just went down the the Temple audio rabbit hole and I’m inspired to go this route. I recently picked up this odyssey case thinking I would set my gear in the foam. But I’d like to be able to move stuff around and test other gear, so committing to a foam outline doesn’t really work for me. Coming from eurorack, I want the flexibility.

I could return this odyssey case but I’m thinking it might fit the Trio 43 pretty well.

A small update of my setup :

To sum it up :

I use an UDG XXL Flightcase (Mk1 version).

The MIDI routing is : DT -> ST -> DN -> A4 / DN -> MM2
The Audio routing is : MM2 -> A4 -> DN -> ST -> DT

It covers two use cases :

1. “DAWless setup” : To be able to play, I need connect the powerstrip and turn it on and connect the output of my Digitakt to a mixer. Then I only have to plug the MM2 USB to the USB HUB (next to the MM2) to power it too. It takes less than 1 minute to be ready.

2. “Full setup” : I plug the powerstrip, I connect all the boxes to the USB Hub and then I got it plugged to my Macbook M1. That’s what you can see on the picture. With this “full setup”, I have an Ableton template that allows me (with Overbridge) to manage all my Elektron boxes tracks separately (8 from the DT, 12 from the ST, 4 from the DT, 4 from the A4, 1 from the MM2). For now I only use Ableton as a Mixer and a FX box. (and for recording / arranging / mastering the tracks when I am producing)

It takes 2 minutes to turn it off, close the flightcase and be ready to move!

It’s fully working and a lot of fun :slight_smile: (and for the first time in a few years, I don’t feel any more GAS and that makes my wallet (and my wife) really happy too :smiley:)

3 Likes

I approve :+1: