"Performance" screen

I love this feature, it’s actually one of my favourite features of the A4 and I wish the other Elektron devices had it. The ability to pick the parameters you want to control and have them on one screen makes performance so much easier.

I guess it’s more of a necessity because of the amount of controls that the A4 and AR offer, but still, I think it’s a shame the feature didn’t carry over to the Digitakt/Digitone.

Just thinking out loud!

4 Likes

I no longer have the DN but seem to remember that there was a way to use midi loopback and on midi tracks have knobs routed to modwheel, aftertouch and velocity cc to control multiple parameters at once, sort of a ghetto performance mode. Or did I just dream that?

1 Like

Ah yeah, that’s a good point, I’ve not experimented with that as I don’t usually have a midi controller hooked up when using the DN (and I hadn’t thought about controlling it via loop back, clever!).

From looking at the manual, I think the key difference is that the A4 performance macros cover all four tracks, so you can work out which parameters you want to control over the course of the song (e.g. track 1 filter, track 2 envelope…) and have them all on one page, whereas with the DN model I think each controller is per-track… but then you could do the MIDI loop back thing and send different knob data out on different channels I guess… interesting hack idea!

Anyway not a complaint, the A4 is such a deep machine so it’s definitely the best one to have this feature… but the Digitone is the one I’d next most like to have the feature on! The other machines either have fewer parameters so less of an issue to navigate (especially true of the Models) or alternative performance controls (e.g. OT x-fader), and there’s definitely an overhead to assigning performance parameters vs. alternatives!

1 Like

If you set DN tracks on the same midi channel, you should be able to control them all with Modwheel / Aftertouch.

2 Likes

I really like the mixer page on the A4. Performance parameters though, I’m far too lazy to set them up. I think it could be easier to set them. More like scenes on OT perhaps?

2 Likes

It’s possible to copy all Perf setup. You can make a template.

I usually set 1 perf macro (A), and copy to another one (B), modify it. Rinse and repeat.
Makes it faster.

3 Likes

Agreed that setting them up could be easier, for example if there was a way to quickly “learn” a performance parameter (like MIDI learn in a DAW) while you were playing around without having to go into the perf screen, locate the parameter in the list, set the range, give it a name etc.

2 Likes

If the OB interface‘s controls had a right-click ‘map to performance macro’ menu entry alongside the regular mappings I’d be very happy.

[edit] it already exists! i just never saw Performance tucked in amongst the other mod mappings until now :smiley:

5 Likes

Yeah OB is a decent solution for setting up performance macros but it’s a shame you have to switch the A4 to overbridge mode (which I’m never on cuz the latency is unusable) and this can be clucky where it takes a min to get going again.

But as you say, I’d loveee if there was a quick way on the A4 to set up macros via the parameters themselves :drooling_face:

I get the logic but why would you want to start each macro knob from where you had the last one? Wouldn’t you want each knob to do something completely different?