Photography geeks, gather round!

Nice to see fellow photographers on Elektronauts! Very cool to see @Matmcr work, I have a few of those Shinichi Atobe records in the shelf.

Here are a couple of favourites of mine:

More on my website!

These were both shot on a Contax G2, used that camera a lot in the 2010s. They’re prone to failure though - I stopped shooting film a few years ago due to that and how expensive it got with rising film prices. Nowadays I mostly use a Ricoh GR IIIx, though I’ve had the X100V in rotation a few times too. I’m definitely partial to compact cameras, and those are both great options.

11 Likes

Hahaha, I knew there was something quirky about this character! I can never unsee it, thanks :joy:

1 Like

Upgraded from A7 to A7III about 1,5 years ago.
The difference is like night and day…
If I remember correctly the AF performance was only slightly improved on A7II , so the difference should be remarkable as well. But I think there are lots of YouTube videos about exactly these comparisons.
Apart from the AF, the biggest differences are the build in image stabilization and the better (more neutral) color rendering.
Would update again.
But I have no knowledge of the A7IV , maybe it’s an option as well.

Some of my film photography stuff from the last couple weeks:

9 Likes

Really nice, some really great imagery on your website… love the minimal considered light and natural approach in some of your shots. I have a Contax G2 also… absolutely love that camera. That 45mm Planar is hard to beat. :grinning:

2 Likes

For a walkaround camera doing streetlife the Contax is one of the best.

1 Like

Ive still got a bottle of Rodinal 8 years old. Apparently it gets better with age :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s something I’ll never get rid off. William Eggleston has used them and the build quality is insane. In terms of street, I really like Daniel Arnold, and he’s used one for years.

1 Like

I had Egglestons books. Sold them ages ago as they went for a small fortune. Man that guy could take great photos.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

One of the best! I have a few of his books, and yeah it’s actually pretty crazy how much you can make on 1st edition books (not just Eggleston as well), and within a relatively short time of release (5-10 years).

Seeing as this is primarily a music forum, this video is cool on William Eggleston’s music :grinning:

4 Likes

How cool is that to see him in action. I believe he used primarily a Grafllex newspaper journalist camera. Huge bulky things. Miss my film days a lot :slight_smile:

If you’ve not seen this, here is a good doc on him and his photography. You’re right in that there’s something about film and the process!

3 Likes

I watched it years ago but worth watching again for sure cheers.:slight_smile:

1 Like

How’s the 40mm focal length working for you? Sometimes I find it too narrow but I absolutely loathe 28mm

Thanks. The A7IV looks very impressive, but not sure i can afford it. On my A7II i mostly used manual focus lenses so slow af wasnt an issue. But trying to get more into dog photography, and manual focus is hard for those movements.

Love the 40mm - I’m very comfortable between 35-45mm. Like you I’m not a fan of 28, though it did grow on me when I had the GR III. The 40mm on the IIIx is more to my taste, and it’s a very well done lens too - the detail that little camera can extract is pretty amazing and comparable to some high end stuff. It’s a bit clinical though.

@Matmcr Thanks! The 45mm Planar is a banger. On digital, I haven’t found much that compares, but the little Sigma 45mm 2.8 comes close.

2 Likes

Just got a couple rolls of film back, a few things that I’m pretty happy with.

11 Likes

Why not develop and scan your own? Saves a lot of money and its really easy to do. Even colour isnt so hard.

Definitely intending to start developing my own film soon, but I haven’t found a very affordable option for scanning the film yet.

*edit
What I should say is that the range of prices on scanners to digitize film is pretty massive and it can be kind of intimidating to just jump in with a hobby you’re just learning.

6 Likes