Pickup machines and pitch/tempo changes. How do you approach the „dub aborted“ problem?

I love looping with the Octatrack and turning down pitch on the loops, creating these far away, haunting versions of the sample.

When I want to loop more, however, I always have to turn pitch and tempo back to the original or empty the sample slot, otherwise I get the “Dub Aborted” error message.

While I know the workaround, I find it cumbersome in a live situation and would love for the Octatrack to always record loops, like the EHX loopers do, where you can record at the currently set tempo and the sample will be pitched up or down when you move the tempo slider.

Am I missing something? (In fairly new to the Octatrack). Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

No you’re not missing anything OT is just behind the times in terms of loopers.

I always felt like OT’s effects were lacking so I’d usually hook up external pedals thru the que out and make my changes there and then and record that anyway.

Is it out of the question to use more than one PU machine?

not per se. I am often working in quadrophonic, T1/5 are Through machines, 2/6 are Neighbors, 3/7 should be the pickups, 4/8 could be more pickups. the left side goes out the front (main out) the right hand side goes to the Cue out (rear speakers)
So I do have another PU machine available, theoretically, but even with another machine – when I change the pitch, it won’t do a dub on top of the first recording. I guess my work around would be to ask: what’s the quickest way to reset the PU machine to its default so that I can overdub/replace the recording without erasing it first.

Another workaround would be to use a Flex machine for looping, I suppose. It has the added benefit of a larger pitch range, too.