Pigments : Arturia Wavetable Synth

Only bought this few weeks ago and already a big update. Excellent purchase just got better

2 Likes

Ahh manā€¦ I really should wait to upgrade given I have it in a lot of existing projects, but I canā€™t resist itā€¦ I frkn love Pigmentsā€¦ Iā€™m going in.

2 Likes

Pigments has stopped me from buying a poly synth for 2 years now. When I find the right one Iā€™ll pull the trigger, but still, every time I open pigments it chants ALL YOU NEED IS ME.

4 Likes

5 mins in, itā€™s superb.

Filter the banks for ā€˜Pigments 4ā€™ to see the new features in action.
Thereā€™s a preset called Scrapyard Piano thatā€™s cool.

New UI looks good. Shimmer reverb is a good addition.

5 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s a very big update. And itā€™s all free.

2 Likes

Itā€™s going to take me a few days to get around to this, but please God, please, tell me they fixed the PWM bug.

I do see this in the changelog:

ā€œNew Pulse Width algorithm in Wavetable Engineā€

3 Likes

I keep thinking at some point theyā€™re going to have to make it a paid upgrade; they canā€™t keep making them free foreverā€¦ And yet hereā€™s 4.0, free again!

I guess they have been supplementing development somewhat with preset banks. The new Wavelength series looks interesting; I might have to pick some of those up with what I was half-expecting to spend on an upgrade.

6 Likes

They had me at neurobass. I couldnt hit Apple Pay any faster.

Plus , Iā€™m so glad I didnā€™t get the V collection or the fx bundle. Itā€™s all in pigments and set up with presets that you can tweak. Just fabulous.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s a loss leader just like analog lab. They make the money back from preset banks. More power to them. Sometimes you just need that ā€œsoundā€ for your project oh and hereā€™s 10 dollars.

2 Likes

Yeah, pigments makes me feel like I wasted money on some hardware lol.

That said, I havent tried this new version yet. Can anyone tell if thereā€™s stepping on the filter in this version? I donā€™t know if itā€™s just me but when I play a note and move the filter cutoff with my mouse I hear stepping but I never heard it when using an envelope or lfo in the synth. Never used an automation lane either I should test that. Itā€™s a very minor stepping noise but it definitely wasnā€™t smooth like other synths, even soft synths.

Re: the Loss Leader discussion: I think half of us by now also have bought Fx Collection or their synths collection. They really seem to want to be pulling us in for the whole ecosystem. Iā€™ve heard their Vsts are heavy on the cpu so I wonā€™t get them, but I might get their fx collection too at some point.

Anyways, I just bought Pigments as my first and only softsynth - during Black Friday, great to already get an update!

4 Likes

The only hardware worth buying is analog

Software eats everything else for lunch

2 Likes

Nahhhā€¦ being able to get hands on with hardware is worth it whether itā€™s Digi or Analog.
Iā€™d love a dedicated controller for Pigments, I imagine it would be quite big though.

2 Likes

Every time I buy a software plugin I have the same feeling. Then I told myself I will never again buy a shit plugin even if omg itā€™s discount. Then there is -50% discount and I continue to waste my money in soft I never use.

I second the pigments controller, Arturia listen up! haha.

2 Likes

Every time they do a cool free update like this I buy a new sound pack (reduced top $9 anyway) just as a little thank you!

1 Like

You know that these more expensive keylabs have amazing integration, right?

2 Likes

yup! but Iā€™d say there is a difference between a more universal controller with good integration and a dedicated pigments hardware controller.
Iā€™d pay for the latter, but the keylab mkiiā€™s donā€™t have the kind of pigments integration iā€™m looking for. Itā€™s really just 8 knobs and faders mapped to certain parametersā€¦

1 Like

100% this.
I daydream about something that looks like a PolyBrute or MatrixBrute that is just a dedicated Pigments controllerā€¦ Ā£500-Ā£600?
Sign me up.

Edit- this daydream is usually followed by me looking at the Waldorf Iridium Keyboard to scratch that itch. :upside_down_face:

Donā€™t get me started on my dedicated controller versus MIDI mapping rant!

I think a Pigments-specific controller could be really interesting. I imagine it looking less like a synth and more like a Loupedeck. Natively controlling a VST should take into account the workflow of the plugin, its different modes and screens, and so on. I donā€™t necessarily know how all that would work, but thatā€™s where the design process comes in.

I design user interfaces for a living, so I tend to think about these things as a sort of dream project. :slight_smile:

2 Likes