Pigments : Arturia Wavetable Synth

Just tried the 3.7 update.

Unfortunately PWM in the VA engine is still broken.

I forgot to enter the bug report, I just filed it now.

1 Like

@Brokenfader - Actually, I think it is fixed in Pigments 3.7 - Iā€™m using build 3.7.0.2587 (x64).

Sound of 80/20 PMW D-note:

Sound of 80/20 PMW Notes E-C-A:

First 10 waveforms (typo in the graphic, should read 3.7, sorry, Iā€™m a space case today):
Pigments 357_1st_ten_80-20PMW

Settings used:

1 Like

I think itā€™s a modulation bug. Check this one out:

Takes 5 cycles to ramp up to the proper pulse width, even though the attack time was set to zero. (PWM is being modulated here with Env 1 or what Pigments calls Env VCA.)

1 Like

Canā€™t tell why your width isnā€™t set to 80% already in the Osc 1 section - it is literally at 50% in your setup at the beginning. If you donā€™t set it to .8 I would not expect it to do what you want. All Iā€™m saying is with the settings I screenshot, I used to have the problem in 3.5 and now in 3.7 I donā€™t.

1 Like

Thanks, sigint, Iā€™ll have another look this morning.

Why, though, would the width need to be set to 80%? If the attack time for the modulation envelope (Env VCA) is set to 0, shouldnā€™t the waveform start at the highest point of modulation? As in, shouldnā€™t this wave begin as the tiniest sliver of a pulse then slowly reduce down to 50%? Why is it taking 5+ cycles to ramp up to that point?

@Brokenfader nevermind, I messed it up. Iā€™ve reproduced it again. Sending additional missed forgotten stuff to my Arturia issue now. sorry!!!

No worries.

Iā€™m glad there are nerds like us working on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just got Pigments yesterday, and I love it. So intuitive and fun to make wild sounds with.

One thing I havenā€™t been able to figure out:

Anyone know if thereā€™s a way to manually enter notes into the sequencer? Havenā€™t been able to figure that out.

1 Like

The sequencer is actually the only part of pigments I donā€™t like.
Everything else feels so intuitive, then you try the sequencerā€¦ but there are other good options for that

1 Like

Itā€™s in the Arp/Seq section.
All your notes/scales options are there, you have to be in Seq mode to specify notes.
And bare in mind, it all relates to C being the rootā€¦ so if you have a particular melody in mind, you have to right it out in C first then Transpose to the key you want.
Sounds more complicated than it is.
And, the Arp/Seq are both really powerful in Pigments. Donā€™t forget you can route this to other synths/sounds too in your DAW.

Thereā€™s a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you get over that itā€™s really powerful, especially for generative ideasā€¦ and the poly-rhythm options for Vel, Oct, Trigger, Gate, etcā€¦ itā€™s powerful stuff and worth the time input. :+1:

Let me clarify: I would like to enter notes from my midi controller. I can only seem to enter notes by clicking and dragging in the sequencer section, which is kind of a pain.

@Brokenfader It took awhile, but the Arturia support team has duplicated the issue from our information and entered a ticket for their dev team, and replied to me, quote, ā€œhopefully, this will be fixed in the near future.ā€

Hereā€™s to hoping!

2 Likes

Nice work, Sir!

1 Like

This is amusing: the Minifreak V has the same glitch.

Probably the same code.

2 Likes

Looks like Pigments just got a big update:

8 Likes

Some nice new features there.

Great! Iā€™m already 1/10 the way through using all of the features introduced in 2 and 3

9 Likes

Pigments is becoming a fusion of many of the best elements from their FX and V-Collections. All integrated with an amazing fundamental synth, stellar modulation capabilities and an awesome UI.

5 Likes