Pigments : Arturia Wavetable Synth

Free

2 Likes

thx for letting us know!

6 Likes

That’s awesome. This Pigments just keeps on giving!

2 Likes

Trying Pigments now.

Amazing routing options, but what’s with the PWM sound? I saw this in a YouTube comment, but it’s true. Load up a square wave. Modulate the pulse width with Env VCA (some decay, no sustain) up to .65.

Hear that weird “squawk” at the beginning of the sound? That’s not right.

A bug maybe?

I did what you described, and I’m not having that issue with Pigments 3.5.0.1831 64bit on Windows. Could you refer me to the video / time spot?

Here’s an example. The first 6 notes (E-C-A-E-C-A) are TAL U-No. The next six are Pigments. Both examples are pulse waves being modulated by the VCA envelope (no attack, 2 second decay, no sustain). PWM modulation is set to about 75%.

Do you hear the “squawk” at the beginning of each note in the Pigments sequence?

1 Like

That sounds to me like Pigments pwm reaches a narrower pulse wave than TAL U-No, which imo might not be the best thing to compare to because some U-No parameters have a limited range like the Juno it emulates

2 Likes

I thought that at first too. But TAL’s pulse width at 75% is actually narrower than Pigments.

Here’s another example where I ignored the position of the faders and matched the duty cycles with an oscilloscope. Both VSTs modulate up to an 80/20 pulse then back down. Pigments is the second set of six notes.

That actually sounds worse.

This is my replication of your experiment
 Modulated PW up to 80% with Env VCA, 2 sec Decay, no Sustain, Attack set to straight up, all FX and Filters off (yours sounded like maybe the default FX were on that Pigments has on a ‘new preset’ - on the FX tab -or- maybe the attack knob wasn’t striaght up? I dunno.), Pigments 3.5.0.1831 64bit on Windows:

My sample sounds a lot closer to TAL than your sample but still they sound different. My waveform comparison shows that on the front of the note, TAL is starting at 80% but it looks like Pigments takes a few waveforms to get there despite my setting the attack straight up. Also, TAL looks like slightly softer squarewaves and pigments looks like it is emulating analog circuitry a little more extremely terms of wave shapes (as I understand them anyway):

Pigments vs TAL

Anyway, they do sound different; that brief time to get to the 80% wave is seriously audible

6 Likes

Stellar work, sigint.

I hope Arturia sees this. Actually, we should all send them a link.

1 Like

Is it actually a mistake on their part or by design?

Looks like a coding error.

Pigments will let you start with a 50/50 pulse and ramp up to, let’s say, 80/20, but you can’t start at 80/20 and ramp down. When you try, you’ll hear a “squawk” as Pigments takes several (quite audible) cycles to reach 80/20, no matter how short your attack.

1 Like

Very interesting, cool you guys caught it :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

[ Talking about the MP Midi Controller, with controls around the edge of a touch screen display, that is to help software synth plugins operate more like a hardware synth. ]

I posted about using Pigments with a touch screen in this thread before, but that was a long time ago. Have things changed – are there people who use Pigments regularly with a regular touch screen interface ?

How well does that work ?

Does anybody know a way to sequence/control individual lanes of the Arp/Seq?

The Arp/Seq is frkn amazing as it is and I’m getting some results from it lately that I’m delighted with, and sound amazing.

But, I have a 4 step pitch/trig sequence where just steps 1 and 4 trigger
 step 1 100% and step 4 about 60%.
As a performance variation I’ve been moving step 3’s trig from 0% to 100%, and it sounds cool
 but the only way to do it is manually with the mouse.

I didn’t think I would be missing ANY kind of mod/control in Pigments, but I’d love to be able to automate or control that Trig % from a slider

Having recently purchased Pigments (black Friday sale) and then realizing I no longer need to consider a Waldorf Iridium because Pigments does most of what Iridium does and then some things Iridium doesn’t do (awesome sequencer/arp), the only thing missing is a hardware sequencer. I really wish Arturia would make something dedicated for this, or at least do what Spectrasonics has done with Omnisphere’s hardware controller.

Looked at the MP Midi controller. Too expensive for what it does (not arguing against the company, just me, don’t want to spend this on a midi controller).

Any other ideas for a less expensive way to control Pigments with hardware?

1 Like

Welcome to the control conversation!
There’s a lot been discussed previously so it’s worth a scroll/search.

Pigments is really flexible in its controller mapping, so there’s a whole host of options out there, and, IMHO, to get a real level of control away from the mouse, it takes more than one device (controller keyboard plus another midi controller (FaderFox, Midifighter, etc).

1 Like

Other specific ways to setup hardware control for Pigments ?

Here are a couple of videos michaeljk1963, to show a general approach to this.

There is this rather old video ( before HS as a MPE controller ) with Flux using a Hydrasynth Keyboard with Pigments.

Specifically he shows setting up controls from the eight Macro control knobs ( with text labels ) using the Mod-Matrix with internal HS modulations, using the ribbon, and polyphonic aftertouch.

I know you only have a HS desktop so can’t do everything shown here but you could do a good part of this.

This procedure applies to the whole method of setting up any MIDI controller as a controller for a specific software package.

Pigments has MPE, so you could go back to the MPE controller list for an extra level of control from that sort of controller.

As for instance Sensel has put a free package together for using their Morph specifically with Pigments. They did a couple of videos about this, here’s one.

Again the same sort of principles applies to whatever sort of MPE controller you decide to use.

Whether this all takes things far enough is another question. ( Do i sound doubtful? ) Hope this is even a little helpful.

ADDED : I just recalled michaeljk1963, you own a Linnstrument. There are several YT videos of people playing the Linnstrument with Pigments. Didn’t find any tutorial videos about that though. So then you’ll only need to combine your LS with other pure controllers, as CCMP suggests, to get thst hardware control.

i was playing with Pigments Granular engine for a bit today. Amazing. That Pigments 3 cost so little, and does so much just floors me. If it wasn’t stuck on a laptop
anyway, will probably have to buy a hardware granular doodad now, like that lemondrop thingy. Or just accept that ITB is just amazingly powerful

1 Like