Pitch bender & sustain pedal recording

I know the Digitakt is intended as a drum machine, but I (and I’m not the only one) use it as a sequencer for synths. Has anyone found any workarounds to record realtime these midi cc’s?
In any keyboard, sustain cc is 64, not sure about pitch wheel cc

1 Like

What is your midi source ?
You should be able to record CC1-8 values with the CCs you can find in the manual.
CC70-77 or something…

Sorry that’s not so clear for me. How can I record pitch and pedal?

Pitchbend is a specific midi message. AFAIK you can’t record it. I think you can’t record specific CCs appart from CCs 1-8 : CC 70-77. These CC 1-8 can be assigned to any CC.

Midi processors can map any message to these. Sorry I have no time to elaborate, this is a very limited midi implementation anyway.

feature-request@elektron.se

Above alll more then welcome updates we received over the years, it’s still on the top of my future requests unfortunately. Midi pedal/pitch and aftertouch don’t get recorded neither passed to midi out. More of a bummer on DN but sequencing a desktop synth and not being able to use a pedal, pitchbend or aftertouch is a big dealbreaker imo

2 Likes

@sezare56 @tubefund Okay, thanks for the replies, I was hoping for some secret trick.
Which standalone sequencer has the feature to actually record everything I send from the midi controller?

It depends on what OP is asking for, though. DT can’t pass PB or CC’s through from a keyboard input, but it definitely can sequence them for an external synth.

PB, MW (CC 1), AT (sometimes cc4), and BC (CC2) can be changed and sequenced, either with P-locks or an LFO, from the SRC page on a midi track, and you can choose 8 more CCs, including CC 64 Sustain, to send from the FILT page.

1 Like

I know what you mean: add the missing midi messages in post. What happens is that those details are part of the performance, sometimes in a very intricate way. Yes, I tried to recreate them as you say, but besides being a tedious work, it will never reflect what was actually played live.

I guess I need a real sequencer to get to the point

1 Like

Thanks for precisions, I’m probably confused with what can be passed through and what can be recorded.
Different behavior from Octatrack so I’d need to practice more before saying anything about Digis in that concern…:content:

1 Like

Bummer it can’t pass through PB AF… nor record them from external gear.

You can map external CC70(-77) to CC1 for modulation though. This way it passes through, and it can be recorded.

That is my workaround with my Hydrasynth : I can assign Modwheel to CC70, send it back with CC1.

There should be CCs to control PB AT MW BC…