Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900

It seems your wish was fulfilled, it seems to be sold out everywhere

Yes it is no longer in production

But I also think there were some issues with the oscillator tuning and this is why PM might have decided to stock it out

They have just released primary oscillator in Eurorack.

Zzounds and Sweetwater have it in stock but they will only sell it in US

Is it? Did they state that somewhere?

That is it out of stock?

I emailed them in December and they told me it has been stocked out.

Regarding the oscillator tuning the info is not coming from PM of course, I read it more than once in a couple of music forums - to be validated

It is a shame it is a very good synth

No I mean that it was no longer in production. Maybe they havenā€™t made any recently but are they definitely not going to in the future? That would be too bad as its wicked and fills a spot the VRL doesnā€™t.

I read that too about the tuning. I never found the tuning stability to be any worse than some other analogue VCOsā€¦better than my DPO, for sure. I think maybe those people were expecting DCOs or somethingā€¦

Unless you personally have experienced an issue with a synth, itā€™s probably not a good idea to parrot things like ā€œthis synth has this issueā€ just because you heard it somewhere. Iā€™ve noticed you doing this for a number of products and I think itā€™s just bad form dude, itā€™s the primary way that misinformation is spread.

2 Likes

I wanted to order it in December as I really liked it
I got only the Blackbox

This is their reply

Hi,

The SV-1Bs are available. Shipping is USD$45.

You can calculate taxes here: Import Duty Calculator - SimplyDuty

The Microvolts are officially stocked out.

Iā€™m not even sure what ā€œstocked outā€ means. Out of stock?

I looked it up and I think it might mean they donā€™t have the parts to make it.

But I think its fair to say it still might be in production.

Please read again carefully what I wrote.

I wrote: I thinkā€¦which means I assume.

I have not personally tried it if the oscillator goes really out of tune.

Even if is it does I really liked the synth and wanted to buy one.

Yes me too - I thought it meant temporarily out of stock, but the word ā€˜officiallyā€™ made me think It is out of production.

I have replied to their email and will update once I hear back for PM

Pittsburgh is a small company, and with their modules ā€˜out of stockā€™ has usually meant ā€˜no longer in production.ā€™ It could be that the Microvolt 3900 is different because itā€™s a full synth and not just a version of a filter, but if sales were poor wouldnā€™t it make sense to design another synth and try again? These are people who enjoy designing synths and modules, and it seems like they always evolving the designs with each production run.

That said, they have kept pumping out the SV-1 modules as they are the best seller of the line-up. If everybody emails them expressing their urgent desire for microvolts, it couldnā€™t hurt.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not saying that there definitely will be MVs again. My whole point was that they did not say definitively they were no longer producing them. In addition to which itā€™s still on the website to order.

In point of fact I actually donā€™t think there will be more MVs in the future as, like you said, Pittsburgh is quick to move on. I was merely curious if they had confirmed that.

Here is the answer, they were very quick

Hi, ā€“

Right now we donā€™t have any plans to put the Microvolt back into production.

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks for the update.

RIP MV :rose: we barely knew thee

2 Likes

Yep

I hope it will come out on the second hand market soon

Yeah they also have the voltage lab as far as semi modular go right now, so maybe it is just easier to be stocking 2 semi modulars at the moment? I suppose the Microvolt might become a bit of a rare gem of sorts.

1 Like

I believe the Voltage Research lab was limited, and is finished now. I read somewhere that they would like to do a followup, but did not give details. So maybe the next iterations of the Microvolt and Voltage Research Lab will be coming out in the future?

Oh dang I was hopping to nab a Voltage Research Lab at some point alsoā€¦ I suppose new things will come along.

1 Like

Yeah, if I remember correctly, they did that one through Kickstarter, and that was it. Nothing came to market after that.