Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900

Just got my MV and started playing with it the last few days

Can someone explain the dynamic section to me with some kind of an analogy or something like I’m an idiot?
I just can’t wrap my head around it. I’ve RTFM and even reached out to Perfect Circuit and PM to see if there might be something wrong with mine.
Or maybe a video bookmark with a good example of someone using the dynamics?

When I pull the dyn fader down and dyn mod up, everything works as expected and the synth is awesome. Like, holy shit awesome. Probably the coolest sounding mono (for me) I’ve ever laid hands on. In raw tone. It’s ballsy, aggressive, “3D” and lots of tone shaping. Really great, exactly what I want. It says in the manual the dyn section is the “heart” of the synth. In that case, I want it.

But the topology is just different, I’m not getting it.

Have you watched the sonic lab review?

2 Likes

yeah, and it’s one of the chief reasons I wanted the synth. I LOVE the sound of it.

But, gosh-darnit, he doesn’t touch that Dynamics slider a single time in the whole video.

According to the manual-
“The dynamics slider(20) and dynamics modulation trimmer(24) work together to control the output level. When using CV, the dynamics slider becomes the offset control and the dynamics modulation trimmer controls the amount of CV manipulating the VCA level.”

So, when not using CV, the dynamics slider does fuck-all as far as I can tell. It seems to lengthen the release time of the LPG if you barely move it, like less than 5%. After that, the note just drones on forever and renders the other controls useless.

So basically, is that slider just for offset when you use CV, or does it have a more practical function?
Seems like a weird use of real estate. If that’s the case, I would have used the slider for the response curve control and the trimmer for the “dynamic” whatever the hell it does.

I love Pittsburgh but that manual leaves a lot to be desired.

The slider is an offset: full stop. As its normalled to the adsr it’s always getting cv. The response range gets bigger in VCA mode as opposed to LPG.

I think the idea for using the slider is performance.

1 Like

Just an offset, ok, as advertised I guess.

Kind of disappointing that slider isn’t for the LPG response. That and the response isn’t CV controllable is slightly disappointing for such an overall thoughtful, badass synth

1 Like

Oooh you sound like your average disgruntled DT user :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

They added the cv able LPG response in the Voltage Research Lab if I am correct. I LOVE the mv39k, what I wish to be controllable by CV is the waveform mixer though.

1 Like

Ha
Well, I’m not gonna keep going on about it

I bet a cleverer individual than me could probably mod this

I love it too though, for sure

1 Like

I wish they had made the utility mixer cvable

1 Like

I’m gonna order some trimmer caps
what do you guys think, White or Blue?
I think White looks better, but I was thinking since the LEDs are blue, I could stick with that theme

Blue.

2 Likes

Where are you ordering these little fellow ?

Thonk!

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/tall-trimmer-toppers/

2 Likes

I got some great info from Perry at PM.
Here’s what he said about the slider:
*Dynamics slider - This controls the “pass-thru” level of audio. All the way down is silent and all the way up will allow audio to pass constantly at full volume. This is a handy control if you wish to create continuous droning sounds are not have note should off completely.

He didn’t mention offset, but that what it states in the manual. As far as this dual-control, I’m having a hard time utilising it.
But he also admitted the missed opportunity and the fact they are adding that feature in other synths.

I went with white
I got both caps to see which one was better and blue were difficult to see in low light with the leds shining on them. The blue leds are really bright.

The white are really easy to see, and I kind of like it looks a little flashier.

1 Like

The output slider is a master vca . After the vca modulation. There can be two vca modulation if not patching anything… the lpg and the four stage envelope. The modulation pot controls how much audio is controlled by the envelope.

I think there are many things I wish this had… like my biggest wish would be to have the lfo be able to follow cv for speed… then you could have three oscillators at least on the somewhat traditional sense… also I wish the sequencer had a way to input notes from the unit, either by cv or digitally, instead of just midi input and clock…
But I think it is better to look at this like what it can do instead of what it can’t, they could only fit so much because they wanted it to be the size of a book, so I understand why it can’t do everything, but it is a pretty comprehensive sound laboratory, and I love the fact the aux mixer can handle cv or audio… mic that with the fact each waveform can be broke out separately and you can invert audio and all forms of shenanigans… the function oscillator is nothing short of incredible… and the vca had two separate inputs with it’s own mixer plus a dual modulation routing with it’s own mixer!! Plus another aux in with a separate vca… lol… crazy stuff… and that is just maybe half of what is there… the thing is crazy… I love it.
It is also Pittsburgh’s only real standalone that is not eurorack, so ya…I think it is pretty special.

1 Like

I agree with you but sometimes I feel I am getting always the same sound.

I read on one of the last modular drone lab that they were working on a 3900b

There is a new synth they will be launching soon which is very drones based

No, you are right, a level control is a master vca.
You can definitely control the amount of output with anything you want… envelope or the lpg from just the front panel.
I guess I don’t get what you mean. The knob under that slider literally controls the amount of the envelope to that slider if the lpg is not on.
If you have ever used a ARP oddy or 2600 it is the exact same.