Play auto sampled instrument polyphonic on the digitakt

i wanted to play a sampled lofi piano polyphonic on the digitakt. i tried all tricks but the pitching of the samples always sounded too wierd.

so i looked into the retrokits rk002 cable and tried to code it myself within the arduino of the rk002 cable.

the idea is to use the existing polymux-module which spreads all midi messages comming from input_channel 9 over the first 1-8 channels of the digitakt. now i needed to remove the note value and replace it with note 60 (no pitch note on the digitakt). before the note hits the digitakt i needed to change the sample slot in the midi channel via cc19. this takes at worst around 50ms. so this method is only useful for slow pads.

so next was to upload the wave files to the digitakt with the overbridge app to the right slot.
slot number on digitakt must be equal to the midi note number (screenshot below).
now i can play chords from my sampled synthesizer on the digitakt.

i attached the .ino file for the arduino editor. somehow you cannot upload patches to duy.retrokits.com anymore.

if you need help, just ask, i will try my best.

rk002 cable in the retrokits shop

digitakt_polyphonic_sample_slot.ino (1.4 KB)

Cool project - so if I understand you made sort of a multi-wave sample patch. I also tried the CC changes on the digitakt but unfortunately the DT does not pick up these CC’s fast enough (also played around a bit with multi samples on one sample and change the sample start marker but I guess at that time it was enough experimenting…)

Uploading the DUY to the portal should still work btw, If you want I would like to check out why it does not work for you.

hey grit, im a big fan! thanks for making these great products.
(cant wait for the rk8)

this might sound stupid, but i cannot find the upload button on the website. in my profile page i just see an overview of uploaded patches without an upload button and on the main page with all the patches i cannot find the upload button as well. maybe it only shows with a midi browser? or some other tricks?

o when you compile the DUY with the arduino IDE you have that RK uploader/midi monitor which writes the firmware from the IDE to the RK002. There is a button called ‘share’ and if you fill out your duy-portal login there you share it to the website. There is no upload button on the website itself.

1 Like

I was able to upload it and by accident I found out that the first comment tag from the code will be used as short description for the website :wink:
I found a better name for what the patch is doing and I declared 3 params as well. Might be useful.

“Digitakt polyphonic multimap”

Description:
This RK002 patch maps each MIDI note to a different sample slot on the Digitakt.

MIDI note 1 maps to the Digitakt sample slot 1

MIDI note 127 maps to the Digitakt sample slot 127

If you dont know the MIDI note values (C0=12, C1=24, C2=36, C3=48, C4=60, C5=72 and so on)
The delay until the note is actually played is about 50ms, since the Digitakt is slow on MIDI CC.