Play your drum machine rhizomatically

Don’t play it arborescently.!

12 Likes

Funny, although it’s quite a far-fetched analogy. But anyway, always seduced by anything Deleuze related.
And I just realized that the French for “drum machine”, “Boîte à rythmes” is pronounced not far from “Guattari”.

2 Likes

slippery slope into the brave new world ?

Hah, I was just exploring these concepts yesterday.
(Inspired by this article)

It’s just too perfect that he explains Deleuze by suggesting that drum machines and punk co-created themselves.

This also adds confirmation to my hypothesis that Deleuze and Guattari are writing about (social) Data Structures and Algorithms while avoiding Computer Science terms (or their translator made a serious strategic error).

1 Like

Programmer here and wannabe philosopher. This is the oddest thing I’ve read in ages. I like it and will attempt to ponder some what you’re suggesting.

3 Likes

Hmmm I think what they’re talking about is vague and semi instructional (not sure if this is the correct word here) enough to be applied to anything that is a whole which is a made of parts which themselves are wholes made of parts.

It’s my understanding that trying to read into their ideas as being about something specific Is the reader putting their own mental “tracing” on top of the text in order to interpret it in a specific way.

This is great, one of the most accessible intros to rhizomatic thinking I’ve seen. Thanks for posting. Double interest here, use of music machines and the ‘stickers’ of psychology which I find so profoundly inviting of people to evaluate themselves as lacking or deficient. Narrative therapy is so appealing (at least in its intention) in that rather than allow the ‘stickers’ of psychology to be invisible or assumed, it attempts to make them available for questioning, to consider the extent to which our sense of self/life is ‘captured’ by these stickers. It’s one of the reasons I’m suspicious of the rise in ‘mental health’ discourse currently. Anyways…thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

so i been using a drum machine with deep philosophy this whole time??? coulda told me !!

1 Like