Playing my first MD-centered show tonight

I’ve been making mediocre to OK electro-acoustic/experimental/noise music for the past two decades, and have had a lot of fun performing harsh noise live for the past 12 years. But tonight, it changes. And I just have to yak about it here as I’m excited for it. I’m playing about a 25 minute set with the Machinedrum at the heart of it. In use:

[ul]
[li]Machinedrum UW[/li]
[li]Mute Synth II, triggered by MD’s Impulse machine and processed by INP-E for envelopes and filters.[/li]
[li]Bastl Microgranny, Trinity Drum, and Standuino 3π/2 synced to Machinedrum’s clock[/li]
[li]Future Retro Zillion, synced to MD’s clock[/li]
[li]DSI Evolver (mono desktop), played by FR Zillion[/li]
[li]Waldorf Streichfett, played by Zillion[/li]
[/ul]

Starts as minimal techno/acid with the Machinedrum, Mute Synth, and Microgranny; turns into some wild breakbeats with the Evolver synth providing metallic percussive staccato melodies before turning into a snarling little bass monster; then downshifts to some downtempo/ambient/chill with the Streichfett and Microgranny.

It’s the most structured performance I’ve done in years, but still pretty wild. Triggering and syncing the small synths (microgranny, mute synth, standuino) in time to this stuff really makes it fun.

I’ve been recording my rehearsals all week and hope to record tonight’s show, but I have a bad tendency of forgetting to hit ‘Record’ on the PCM recorder when I’m trying to get everything else started up.

Good on you ! Hope it goes well, why don’t you share where your playing ?

Oh yeah! At Diabolical Records in downtown Salt Lake City [UT,USA].

Sounds great! I’ve just picked up a machinedrum uw myself (after a lot of deliberation) and am just blown away with how usable it is. If you can try and video your set I’d love to see it!

me too, please record and share it. have fun

Video of about the last 10 minutes:

And a combo recording (mics and board) of the full set:

It was really fun! The crowd seemed into it and I mostly hit my marks. It was nice to be able to mix the small/interesting gear from Bastl/Standuino and Dirty Electronics with the likes of the Machinedrum, Evolver, and Streichfett. And it all fit perfectly into my two Pelican cases, which was extra nice.

And now that this show is over, I can finally spend some time focusing on learning the Monomachine.