Playing the DIGITAKT with SPD-SX

Hey everyone,

this is just another day the spd-sx is giving me bad headache.

I’m trying to control my DT with the Roland SPD-SX. I would like to play some drum fills on the SPD controlling the sounds of the DT, while the main pattern is running on the sequencer.

In some threads here some people are saying that it’s working so i must be overlooking smth.

Alright here we go. Settings on the SPD:

Pad 1 is sending Note C5 on Midi Channel 1 for the Kick
Pad 2 is sending Note C5 on Midi Channel 2 for the Snare
Pad 4, 5 & 6 are sending C5, E5 and G5 on Midi Channel 3 to play different Pitches on the DT’s Tom Track.

Audio/Midi Mode is Enabled. I also tried to set different Gate Settings for the Pads.
Global Midi Channel is OFF. I also tried to set it to a certain value. Doesn’t make a difference.

Settings on the DT:

Kick, Snare and Tom Tracks are set to respond to Midi Channels 1, 2 & 3. I also checked to play them with my Keystep and that’s working. So all the Midi-Settings on the DT are right.

Thx for your help in advance!

I actually do exactly that in the band Im playing in. The easiest thing is to use the auto channel on Digitakt. Set all the pads on the SPD-SX to send on the Digitakts set auto channel and then set the Pads to send the notes that correspond to track 1-8.

From the manual:

Of the 128 notes in the standard MIDI range, Note numbers 0–7 correspond to notes C0 through to G0, the leftmost octave (which is sometimes called C-2–G-2 in certain applications). These notes will trigger the Sound of track 1 through track 8, respectively (provided they are set to their default channels 1-8). These notes values map to each of the eight tracks, regardless of which track is active.

8 Likes