PlayStation VR 2 (PSVR2)

I’m thought about it but I have a Quest 2 so don’t really need another headset. The Horizon Zero Dawn game looks pretty cool - wouldn’t mind trying that some day. I also saw something about a Resident Evil game… :zombie:‍♂

My guess is it should be fixed naturally by the new tracking solution. The inside-out tracking has a much higher-resolution reference against which to recalibrate the internal gyroscope than the Move camera seeing the headset’s LEDs moving a pixel or two.

Drift was also my reason for not using theater mode on PSVR 1 more than once or twice.

1 Like

Looks like the PSVR2 update for No Man’s Sky is out:

3 Likes

The new vr headset with ps5 isn’t powerful enough to display ps5 normal game graphics … it has to render two screens so there’s going to be a compromise somewhere.
To get full ps5 in vr you’d need 2x ps5’s , one for each screen/eye ball.

But If things are adapted - like horizon zero dawn … it’ll be pretty good. … should be better than quest2
No man’s sky looks nice , much of it is procedural so they have a lot of graphical levers and dials to adjust for vr ( draw distance details etc ). I’d still expect frame rate to drop and make people sick at times unless it’s restricted to switch style art. ( which still looks good )

I presume it doesn’t work with pc so quest still has slight advantage of being able to be used as a screen … I never did play alyx on it.

3 Likes

Historically this would be true, but it’s no longer the case thanks to a new feature called foveated rendering.

It’s been a subject of discussion in the VR industry for years, but PSVR 2 is its first widely-available implementation. In a nutshell, it means eye trackers inside the headset follow where you’re looking, then they tell the renderer what area of the screen to render at full resolution / LOD, leaving everything in your peripheral vision at something that costs less GPU time to render.

The result is that everything looks like it’s at full-res, but it’s an illusion because it’s only showing full-res to the part of your eyes that can appreciate it, and moving accordingly every time your eyes move.

4 Likes

I think we used this trick on Batman vr, the surrounding screen was rendered a bit lower resolution than than main area. It didn’t track your eye , just a general way to help optimise the rendering. But that was many years ago.
The quest stuff I worked on was quite basic too. ( not games )

I’ll try it in a shop nearby if they have it … be sure to clean the lenses with anti bac wipe to avoid eye infections.

1 Like

Yea man I cant wait! I was a huge PSVR supporter and got hooked on VR because of it. I just picked up a PS5 last September and I love it.
Won’t be getting it day 1 though because I’ll have to get some money together first, it is $50 more that the PS5 after all, but I do think it will be well worth it PSVR1 was and the upgrades they made to the headset for VR2 are substantial.

I just hope more people jump on board so developers make tons of games for it

3 Likes

Ok - I just played some no man’s sky (NMS) and it restored some of my faith in VR. Distant objects are still a bit blurry, but closer to you it’s very sharp.

The scale of the planets and everything is super cool. I was just walking around looking at my base, as it was far superior to the original PSVR.

The tracking on the controllers is also soooo much better than move controllers. NMS also has a lot of VR specific things, and when I took off in my ship it was fantastic!

I’ve noticed that I like to sit and play VR. For example I played Skyrim in VR with the regular controller and loved it. I hope more games allow you to sit and play, as that’s more comfortable vs standing and waving your arms :slight_smile:
(Although sometimes that can be fun too :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Quick update…

Really enjoying the PSVR2 a lot, and Demeo is awesome! It’s like playing a deck building rogue like board game in VR. Sounds silly, but it works really well. I have not played mutiplayer with it, but really enjoying learning the game. I love turn based strategy, so this game is right up my alley. Super cool in VR.

Regarding the fuzziness/blurriness I think that’s just the nature of VR and not my eyes. I did some reading and when you measure VR resolution, you take the horizontal resolution divided by the field of view (FOV). This gives you the number of pixels per degree (PPD). For the PSVR2 this would be 2000/110 which is a PPD of 18.18.

Here is the PPD description from the internet:
“An angular measurement, PPD measures the number of pixels that are packed within 1° of the field of view (FOV). The higher the PPD, the better the system resolution of the VR headset.”

This is why it’s not as sharp as a regular 4K screen, as to get to “retina” resolution in VR it’s around 60 PPD. This doesn’t mean the PSVR2 is bad, it’s just that the hype and statements about “4K per eye” and “800 Pixels Per Inch (PPI)” were pretty misleading.

The PPD is very solid on the PSVR2 and competitive with other current headsets. Here’s an image that shows a comparison of where 18.18 falls:

Note that the Quest 2 has a higher PPD that PSVR2 at 20.5, but a lower FOV at 90 degrees vs 110 on the PSVR2.

On PSVR2 the FOV is great, the refresh rate is great, the colors pop, and the black levels are great.
So it’s still very fun, and immersive. It also shows that VR still has a ways to go until things look as crisp as we see on 4K flatscreens (which we have gotten used to).

4 Likes

I played some online racing in Gran Turismo 7 with some friends last night and it was absolutely outstanding. This game in VR is a total killer app - turn on tilt steering and the immersion is off the charts!

I’m also really enjoying Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect and (surprisingly) Horizon: Call of the Mountain. That got solid but unspectacular reviews, but I think it’s a very decent launch game. It does nothing new, but combines loads of bits of other VR games in terms of interactions into a rather fun whole. I love the little superfluous things you can do. Pick up a musical instrument and play it, bang a gong, paint on walls. I like how lots of things are proper physics objects, it makes the world feel much more real.

No Man’s Sky is incredible, but feels like a visual patch or two away from where it should be. Plus, FFS it’s a few years into its VR versions and the HUD still doesn’t move with the headset? Come onnnnnn, Sean!

4 Likes

As a PS5-owner and VR enthusiast (PSVR -> Quest 1 -> Quest 2 -> PSVR2) getting this was pretty much a given for me. I had sky-high expectations, and so far I feel it isn’t quite the massive generation jump I was hoping for. I love it, but I I’m not convinced this is so good it will win over those that aren’t already sold on VR. Some thoughts:

• Excellent tracking, setup, etc. Putting it on and getting started involves very little hassle. I’ll gladly plug it in and play even if I know I only have 10 minutes to spare.
  • Not as comfortable for me as I had hoped. My forehead hurts a bit after a while. I didn’t like Quest at first, either, but then got better at wearing it “correctly” in a way that wouldn’t become unpleasant. Might be the same with this. Time will tell.
  • Spectacular graphics (for instance Horizon, Kayak VR Mirage, Gran Turismo 7). Hard to compare exactly, but probably same quality as flatscreen equivalents. But as all VR before it, something still feels a bit off in a weird way. Something I suspect could make people feel uncomfortable in VR at first. Eventually one gets used to the feeling and accept VR for what it is.
  • Nausea can still be a problem! Kayak VR Mirage affected me badly until I turned on the comfort settings. Mostly it isn’t an issue for me, though, and developers seems to get better and better at making games that doesn’t cause issues. Hard to tell exactly what will trigger it, since it is different from person to person.
  • Eye-tracking seems to be quite accurate and will probably be important for game/app design going forward. Foveated rendering and gameplay gimmicks like the monsters that move when you blink is cool, sure. But small details like grabbing the item you actually want to grab just works better now because the game can understand your intention better now. My impression is that eye-tracking is a very important ingredient for a more pleasant, “friction free” VR-experience.
  • Technically a good and varied selection of launch titles, but since I already own many of them on PSVR1, Steam or Quest, I really hope for more content soon. Looking forward to Firewall Ultra.
  • You don’t actually need that much space to play most games. Some are made to be played standing up and moving around. Most can be played seated and that is what I usually prefer. As long as one can wave their arms around while sitting down without hitting anything most games should be fine.
4 Likes

On the forehead thing, just wear a sports headband. Problem solved. No VR marks!

1 Like

Does it still let you set it up if you don’t have much space, or does it prevent you using it if your space is less than recommended?

Hmm, not sure. You probably have seen the room-scanning play area feature. I’ve only played sitting down so far, but my understanding is that as part of that process you can set one of three ways to play: sitting down, standing up, or roomscale. The first two apparently require 1x1 meter, roomscale 2x2 meters.

1x1 meter doesn’t sound like enough for many games, though. It is quite common to forget you are in a small space and want to stretch your arm in a direction to, say, grab something. So probably only ok for very stationary games like Gran Turismo or Tetris.

I tried playing sitting in a couch with a table directly in front of me and a wall right behind the couch/my head. What happened was that when I tilted my head backwards to look up, I’d see a grid showing me that I was close to the boundaries of my play area (since my head was very close to the back wall). Same if I sat more forward on the couch when my hands got close to the table. So my impression is that you would still be allowed to play, but the boundary warning grid will be visible so often it will not really work well.

I’d say that if you have a spot where you can place a drummers stool, kitchen/office chair or something similar and then stretch your arms fully in all directions (+ leaning a little bit without breaking anything expensive) you should be fine for most games. Less than that behind your back is probably still ok as long as you don’t sit on something you can spin around in. If that isn’t possible you’d be quite limited in what you can play.

Since you don’t actually need a TV for VR (and I often use Remote Play when playing flatscreen anyways) I’ve considered moving the PS5 and PSVR2 to somewhere else than our living room. But yeah, doesn’t sound ideal that, either…

Thanks, sounds like I’ll probably be okay. I was worried you could only set it up with room scan. If sat forward on the sofa I probably have 1.5 meters in front of me.

Edit: I just ordered one.

2 Likes

I’ve moved from v1 to v2 and am very impressed. Definitely feels like the higher resolution and faster tracking makes a big difference. Controllers are much better than the old ‘move’ controllers too.

…and because it uses cameras on the headset to position itself in a room, the tracking, so far, has been solid for me.

It almost entirely fixes all the issues I had with v1.

Just need to move it out of the studio, so I can stop hitting keyboards.

4 Likes

It depends on the game, and they are labeled (thank goodness!) for what VR playstyle they support. Sitting, Standing, and Room are the modes. For Room, you need a decent amount of space (about 7’ x 7’). For sitting and standing, you don’t need a lot of space (I’d say 4’ by 4’), just make sure you can’t punch your TV :slight_smile:

I prefer to sit and play, and it builds a small play area around you (which is pretty cool).
I set my boundary sensitivity to low, as the default setting of medium has you seeing the red warning indicators a lot. I just slide my side table away from my chair so that I don’t knock my drink over :slight_smile:

One really cool thing is that breaking past the VR boundary turns on the passthrough camera. I found I can do this on purpose when I want to look at something in the room. For example, I play without my glasses in VR and need to set them on my side table. I just lean forward and then I can see the room, when I lean back I’m back in VR.

3 Likes

Me too. The original PSVR was very comfy, and this one isn’t as comfortable (yet). Maybe I’ll get used to it, but there’s something about the way it feels on your forehead that’s less comfortable. A lot of people say you need to tilt the neck strap down more vs the original PSVR.

In their defense, I did feel the same way about the original PSVR until I used it quite a bit. I got better at putting it on, and taking it off and it gradually got more comfortable to use.

I didn’t like it at first comfort wise. But I’ve figured out a few positions where it will be ok over a solid hour of play. I don’t any games longer than that so I’m good. Love GT7 and Rez so far.

1 Like

Puzzling Places is my new addiction. Stream some music from Spotify, and jump into a “simple 400” puzzle.

I don’t know how long it will last, but having a puzzle partially done is like having a good book waiting for you when you have some free time.

While its not the most cutting edge VR app, it’s relaxing and really tickles my brain.

Demeo is also holding up great, but not being able to save mid-level holds it back IMO. I find I’m halfway through a level, and want to stop, but I have to keep playing until either I die or complete the level so I can get to the save button. I play slow and methodical, so clearing a level with 4 characters can take me more than 90 min.