PlayStation VR 2 (PSVR2)

Anyone excited about PlayStation VR 2 (PSVR2)?

I am!

5 Likes

If anyone is wondering, like me (lol), what is PSVR2, it’s Play Station Virtual Reality 2.

I was hoping for PaulStretch Vr 2.0

Edit: PSVR2 is probably what will push me to upgrade to PS5. I’m in no hurry though. PSVR2 is still too big, heavy, and expensive for mainstream adoption. We are in the Atari 2600 era for VR, at best.

4 Likes

I’m excited about MTT :stuck_out_tongue:

The Mama’s Family reboot is pretty exciting news.

Am I the only one who’s suspicious about a long term exposure of VR on the brain. Is this another case of « let’s create a new technology and see what happens in 10-20 years »?

Or, am I getting too old. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve been watching the tech from a distance for a while now, and there’s a good chance I’ll spring for this since I have a PS5.

I haven’t looked into this part yet, I’m hoping that the “theater mode” for other games would let me play games with small text on screen again, like the Witcher update, as a 27” monitor across the room from my couch is my gaming setup and my eyesight is bad.

I also feel like there’s a strange affinity between performing songs on a Digi box and rhythm games like beat saber or whatnot, or maybe the button combos of Street Fighter 2…

1 Like

I love the idea, and got the first PSVR but holy shit it made me feel sick. I’ve got a track record of travel sickness, but this was next level. And could still even feel it the following day. :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

not really … i dont have a flat/living room big enough.
i worked on quest2 products a while ago… i still think its a bit of a gimmick , i dont think anyone will play for any length of time with a headset on.
i would like to try Rez , but not buy all the equipment to try it.

1 Like

Head Mounted Displays date back to the 1960s at the military / research level. Nintendo’s Virtual Boy was released in 1995. Stereographs are well over 100 years old.

It is fairly well known that HMDs can cause a form of motion sickness in some people.

I bought the PSVR1 with the hope that I wouldn’t need a TV at all. Unfortunately, theater mode had a small amount of drift such that after 15 minutes of playing or watching my neck was turned as far to the right as possible. I bought a 50" LCD a few days later and kept the PSVR for VR titles only. Hopefully this is fixed in PSVR2.

2 Likes

I tried an Oculus Quest 2 and it made me motion sick, so I’ve pretty much written off any VR. I love the video game topics we have going on here cause I value the people in this community over any other forum I’m part of.

1 Like

According to digital foundry the theater mode is vastly improved.

At 17:35 they talk about this, and it supports 120hz with HDR:

3 Likes

Good catch! I’ll update the title and my first post.

1 Like

No mention of fixing the drift problem, though. :grimacing:

I somewhat disagree with the reviewer’s initial comment that “the PSVR2 isn’t a casual purchase.” As I mentioned above, the PSVR2 is still too big, too heavy, and too expensive for mainstream adoption. If you want/need to follow VR developments and $600 fits within your impulse buy budget, then go for it. Otherwise, don’t feel pressured to buy.

My lounge isn’t big enough for VR2 apparently

Yes, very excited but unfortunately for me I will need to buy 2. My son and I are addicted to No Mans Sky. We also absolutely love Quest 2. Graphics not spectacular for the most part (although red matter 1&2 are amazing) but the wireless nature more than makes up for any shortcomings imho.

1 Like

Ya I will try it. My kid and I have quest 2’s and we both use them 2-4 hours each week. I hate tethering but will try it, mostly to play RE Village!

Just got my shipping notification, so it looks like tomorrow will be the day!

I plan to start with the GT7 showroom, only because it’s what I did first on the original PSVR.
Then Kayak VR, and hopefully NMS if it gets released for launch.

I have RE8, but I dislike horror games, so it’s really for other people to try (as many people love horror games in VR it seems).

So although I dislike horror games, RE7 was my best memory for the original PSVR. There were 3 of us, and we took turns playing. If you got to a save point, you could opt to stop playing, or if you died. The first hour in that game was creepy AF in VR.

3 Likes

I almost want to get one solely for No Man’s Sky. I played it a lot with the first PSVR and I loved that. I’ve since sold that headset and upgraded to PS5 though I still hop on NMS every week or so. Kind of a dream game for me.

If I find a PSVR2 around here I may do it again.
Also I’ve never played another Resident Evil game since 4. Experiencing Village for the first time in VR would be absolutely wild.

1 Like

Alright I got my PSVR2, and just messed around with it for a few hours. Here’s my initial take… and take this with a grain of salt as its a short session, and it could change with the right game, for example I really want to try No Mans Sky once it’s updated.

It’s weird, but I have to admit that I feel a bit underwhelmed at the moment.

I first tried Kayak VR (as I forgot to download the update for GT7! :slight_smile:)
Kayak VR was cool, and it was a surreal experience feeling like your floating on water.
It was pretty, but definitely has that “VR look” where things are not as sharp as a flat screen game, and I saw a more ghosting than I was expecting. Maybe it’s just my old eyes :slight_smile:
I kind of liked it, but I can’t see playing Kayak VR a lot. I paddled around 10-15min, saw some penguins and fish, and then was like “Ok, that was neat”. I’ll try it again in a while, and maybe my opinion will change.

Now the controllers are WAY better the the move controllers, so it definitely has that going for it.
In Kayak, they tracked very well and it was easy to row.

GT7 had finished downloading, so I fired it up. I jumped into a corvette and onto Laguna Seca. It felt good, with a nice sense of speed. But I wasn’t like “OMG, this is amazing!” as it felt like the VR mode from GT Sport to me. It’s very awesome that it’s the full game though, so I’ll definitely be back to try more of it. On the original PSVR I did a full play through of Skyrim, so having full phat games is important.

I spent some time arranging my room, adjusting lighting, calibrating the headset, adding a chair, and as I said while it was pretty cool… I’ve now rearranged my room back to the way it was, with the PSVR2 sitting to the side. And I felt like I’d rather play flat screen Elden Ring vs jumping back into more VR. I had this moment, of realizing that it’s one of the main challenges with VR, that even as streamlined as the PSVR2 is, you still need to configure your space for the best experience.

Maybe I was expecting too much, or maybe I too fondly remember the first PSVR. So far PSVR2 didn’t feel like a giant leap to me. And it’s very possible its just that my eyes are not what they used to be, maybe others will be blown away. Really curious what experience others have.

Also I found that I was holding the options button to reset the view more than I expected, esp when I would go back to the dashboard to do something, the theatre screen was not where I expected (very low, or off to the side). I’d also need to do this often to get Kayak VR aligned.

Anyway tomorrow is another day, and maybe it was just my mood. It does make me wonder about VR in general though, as maybe it will grow significantly, or maybe it will kind of fade into the past. Time will tell.

6 Likes