Plugins for sample mangling

Hi all, I was thinking about picking up either shaperbox 3 or infiltrator 2 to use for sample mangling. Has anyone used both? Which do you prefer? Or is there something else you would recommend? Thanks!

I use both. they are different beasts tho…
shaper box is a multi band mangling machine
check my stream in shaper box here:

2 Likes

infiltrator is on another level with many many fx and the fx sequencer…
I did a stream with it yesterday…

1 Like

I have try Infiltrator a bit, it’s super powerful but a bit heavy to use for me.
I use a lot Tantra 2 from DS Audio at the moment. It’s kind of friendly and the randomise function is nice to find out some ideas, very usable on bass, drum loops, pads or everything else.
It’s my go to for a lot of my music.

2 Likes

What do you want to do when you say mangling? Its such a general term. Infiltrator is awesome but its kind of a preset machine, same with tantra. If you just want to run some stuff through there to get a new vibe, they are good options.

If you want to create a new lead melody or vocal idea, then you probably would want to get more surgical and use a sampler with a midi sequencer in front of it that you can control the randomization with.

Mangling to me is taking an existing sample and retuning it, chopping it, resequencing it and turning it into a totally new idea. There is not one sole plugin that really will do this since it based on your personal taste more than anything.

If that is more your speed then I would suggest Egoist. It can give you a really good start for creatively slicing and Plocking effects.

2 Likes

Pigments has some tricks up it’s sleeve too

2 Likes

What I am trying to do right now at this exact moment is use a reading of a poem in a new track I am working on. However, I don’t really like plain spoken word vocals just talking on top of music so I am trying to do something more interesting with it. I tried using Melodyne to give it a melody, but didn’t like that result too much. I also tried using the vocals as a wavetable or granular synth, but didn’t have great success with that either. I downloaded the infiltrator 2 demo and have been playing with that and it is the best results so far. A little snippet of what I came up with real quick for part of the vocals:

So by mangling I mean this, but also more advanced stuff like you are talking about as well. I do want a plugin that will be useful for other deeper things in the future and not just this one time :-P. I really just wish bitwig had mseg modulation lol.

1 Like

My Presonus monitors came with this plugin which I haven’t used much yet but might be of interest - https://output.com/products/movement

XY controls are always nice for quick and expressive modulation.

In terms of bang for the buck and general utility I don’t think any plugin beats Reaktor, there’s an insane number of excellent instruments and effects for it, and you can make basically any kind of audio signal processor you like with it.

1 Like

…i used the good old effektrix by sugar bytes for years and years to mangle vocals and all sorts of other things…it was my one and only mangling tool for almost a decade…

but it sounds like, infiltrator does a good job for u…

dunno which daw u got in use, but keep in mind all sorts of old school timeless micro editing, varios stretch modes in ableton or bitwig, resampling standard fx processing, reversing that, resampling that, rereversing that again can take u anywhere and beyond…

while any cheap hardtune/autotune/retune plugin engaging with bitreducing and some further stretch here and there or just classic layering of multitakes and stacks can also do wonders…

but if it has to be a dedicated plugin, portal, effektrix and shaperbox will do all sorts of mangling with no doubt…

1 Like

Thanks for the links, I will check them out!