Plump DJs

Just re-acquainting myself with Plump DJs ‘A Plump Night Out’ (and thoroughly enjoying it) … from the days when I used to listen to this stuff, and not try to figure out how to make these sounds …

Wondering if I should have started with Model:Samples and not Model:Cycles :wink: … hindsight, tch

3 Likes

Ahh used to love Plump DJs! For a little while they had a really fresh take on breakbeat. Saw them play live and also DJ a few times, great fun, brings back some memories :slight_smile: Then I think they followed the rest of the breaks scene down the “electro-house” route, I seem to recall going watching them DJ a few years after their prime and being really disappointed (though I might be thinking of another breaks DJ)

Couple of good ones…

They always used to drop this in their DJ sets which was kinda fun too…

1 Like

Ahh … I know next to nothing about genres … what distinguishes this as breakbeat (something to do with the Amen Break ?) and what makes it distinct from other breakbeat ?

Asking so I can explore more stuff like this (again, after nearly 20 yrs).

It’s the beat pattern mainly - kinda like “kick, snare, kick, kick, snare” as opposed to the “kick kick+snare kick kick+snare” of most house/techno/other “4/4” genres of dance music.

Good question, haha. I am thinking of the sub-genre of dance music that was kinda big in the early 2000s, especially in the UK, that was known as “breakbeat” or “breaks” or maybe “UK breaks”. In the 130ish BPM tempo range, so could be mixed with house, techno etc (as opposed to e.g. drum and bass/jungle which is a lot faster, around 160-180), and I guess used quite a lot of the sound palette from tech house/techno. Of course “breakbeat” is also a more generic term in music :slight_smile:

Some other artists you might like to check in this genre are Hybrid, Meat Katie, Beber, The Crystal Method, Adam Freeland, some of BT’s stuff from around 2000 (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHTZkJ92zKs)… ah man, racking my brains here, I can definitely think of more if you are interested :slight_smile: It was a great fun scene for a while, but I think kind of ran out of ideas after a while, you don’t hear much of it as a specific style in clubs etc. any more but you do still hear its influence and there are some artists e.g. Lisene bringing this style back a bit.

There was also a kind of “splinter scene” known as “progressive breakbeat” which mixed the breaks style with more trancey influences, produced some nice stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkIYRDjHNsM. Again, really nice for a while, but didn’t really progress anywhere and kind of fizzled out. Also was a bit too “chill” to really work in clubs, I always thought.

4 Likes

No that’s great thanks, that will keep me busy for a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I started DJing right now, I’d be a plump dj.

6 Likes

Enjoy :smiley: If I think of any essential albums/mixes in that style, I’ll post them up

I was pretty into Plump DJs in the early 2000’s, and this track still kills it today… that bass riff. Damn.

2 Likes

Rennie Pilgrem and TCR records. Freq Nasty. Botchit & Scarper records.

Adam Freeland was probably my fave.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, nice suggestions, that reminds me of this great track I had on a Ministry of Sound magazine CD:

2 Likes

Ah yes the Plump DJs … I used to love them.

Especially this track:

Ideally suited to this forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahhh yeah that one is a banger :ok_hand: another good remix by them was:

One of my top 10 favourite albums of all time I reckon. Such happy memories of the time when this came out, young and care-free. Damn. 20 yrs has FLOWN by.

2 Likes

absolute belter. Feels very Friday night in here while doing spreadsheets

1 Like

I was hardly young and care-free at the time, but I can sympathise with the surprise about it being 20 yrs ago.

1 Like
1 Like

just one more ok?

1 Like

I was lucky enough to support the plump djs a couple of years ago in Dublin. We used to run a venue called pacions which is a restaurant.which we would then flip into a night club and run into the wee hours. It was great fun while it lasted .The two lads were sound and we ended having a lock in after the club was over. I semi retired that night as I had just recently moved in with my partner and step son and decided playing records for a living wasn’t going to be enough to support us. I’d also like to recommend a breaks act called splitloop from Dublin they were championed by Annie nightingale on radio one and enjoyed some success. Unfortunately bren who was a good friend passed away last week https://youtu.be/qvGhM9kTIMw

3 Likes

Used to love this one back in the day:

2 Likes