POLL- How do you prefer to make loops into songs?

What hardware sequencer song mode do you like best?
  • Clip based - like Force, MC-707 etc
  • Pattern based with song mode - like OT, MD etc.
  • Linear arrangement - like Deluge, Force etc.
  • MPC style
  • None just manual muting, patterns on the fly etc.

0 voters

1 Like

Hybrid - make a shitload of patterns, record them into a DAW, arrange there. I love m’y MPC but don’t bother with dong mode. Deluge’s arranger looks decent, and has had me seriously considering buying it at several points.

3 Likes

good advice, in and out of context.

6 Likes

Whatever helps make your bangers

3 Likes

I haven’t found anything on hardware that comes close the the Renoise workflow.

I love its default forward momentum in a track.

You can set the patterns to loop for finer tweaking easily, but its almost like the software is telling me “stick with this pattern all you want, but you can’t stay here all day”

6 Likes

You’ve both got me cackling like a goblin this morning. I can’t edit that typo now.

2 Likes

Anything more than 1 bar can fuck off

11 Likes

I really like the way Elektron works.
But clip base like mc707 would fit better my workflow.
But on the ergonomics the mc707 does not fit my workflow too well.
Life is compromised :expressionless:

Pattern base always clicked from my guitar song writing days.

3 Likes

F: All of the above++

1 Like

LOL, yikes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My favorite way is not really listed as option.
I love to program mute states, as possible on the OT arranger for example.
I usually only deal with one pattern but enough tracks with different melodies to have enough variety.
Instead of muting/unmuting on the fly, I like to program it.

1 Like

I try to stitch them together with yarn or duct tape.

5 Likes

Interesting, but I would say that your approach fits the above OT option, because it is still pattern-based—in your case, just one!—in song mode.

1 Like

Fruityloops was always great for me for moving forward from a loop. Ironic considering the name. Once you had a beat, just copy then make a variation. Really quick and simple. Then make some melody patterns and layer it all up in the block arranger. I keep wondering about getting FL Studio but it seems they have added shitloads of fancy stuff that makes me confused. Renoise has a similar flow, but I’ve never been able to make more than loops with it. Fruity has tracker roots as well. Never used anything quite as fast and convenient as that. Even in hardware. Suppose Elektron comes close with the way you can switch in and out of song mode on the fly, like Fruity.

4 Likes

Renoise style. :100:
Pattern sequencer for life.

1 Like

I feel like I do something part way between a song mode and just muting unmuting… which is calling up chains manually and then mostly using a mixer or midi mixer control instead of mutes.

1 Like

I selected “none”, but I generally just jam things out and edit in DAW later.

That said, I guess M8 comes somewhere in between pattern based and linear arrangement, and I quite like that for structured “songs”.

4 Likes

None of the above. The same generator I used to make notes into loops, is the same generator I use to make loops into songs.

Team lazyAF.

1 Like

true :slightly_smiling_face:
but only few pattern based sequencer let you program mutes.
Most depend on making pattern copies and removing or adding the sequences of the tracks you want to combine. Which takes way longer than muting/unmuting tracks of the whole pattern

1 Like