Posting is scary

I remember someone reporting a bug regarding youtube links being duplicated a dozen times and text getting lost, I can’t find this thread… well this just happened to me with a lengthy post. (latest Safari, latest OSX).

So there’s the text parser that tries to be too clever, inline-parsing smileys etc…
I think this is the culprit for much of the posting frustration…
There must be a few serious issues with it.
The other editing mode (the one which shows the BB markup) works fine.

Then there’s a thing where if I take too long to type a post, the “form has expired”, which results in a heart attack because it means the post is gone. I can sometimes recover it by going back a page in the browser history, but this doesn’t always work.

In conclusion, posting is not a lot of fun, because it involves evading a series of deadly traps. :zonked:

(^ I will now copy the above text, hit the back button, and paste the text into a fresh Create Topic text field…)

Thanks for the feedback! We’ll take a look at this issue. In which post did you experience duplicate links?

Hi Jon,
thanks… The loss of text happened before posting a new topic when switching between the WYSIWYG and markup posting mode, so I cancelled before posting…

One issue I have with posting/replying is that it happens in a pop-up.

If I hit the back button, all my text disappears. In other forums with regular forms, when I hit forward again, my text is still there as I left it. Not so now, since the popup is gone.

Coincidentally, this accidentally just happened as I was typing this…post gone…poof.

I think overall the javascript / ajax is over done.

Another complaint is that when looking at ‘new postings’, when I hit back I have to reload all the them from the beginning again.

Would prefer static pages.