Power bank for busking

I’m working on a small setup for busking and wonder what the best power bank would be.

How do I actually calculate my power needs? I found some candidates online but I’m a bit unsure how much is needed. The more expensive power banks have an AC output, does that mean that I could use it with an extension cord or is that too high hopes for an easy fix?

Looking to power OT mk1, torso, nymphes(maybe another Dreadbox synth alike) and 2 efx pedals.

Something like this setup

5 Likes

This sort of busking seems like it could lead to jacking. I busk at times with a Continuummini playing along with backing tracks of the Dead but I built this sort of cover for it out of paper mache that I made to look like I am playing a container of moss.

4 Likes

This is only part of the picture, but for each device you’re supplying power to, take the Amps, multiply by the volts, then add them all up. You’ll need at least that amount of power (the number will be in watts).

1 Like

Then multiply those watts by the expected duration of the average session in hours… And with that total then go back to (milli) amps because that’s the main spec of those things.

And then multiply that number by two: so you never run out of power, over discharge the power bank, or require several hours to recharge it completely again.

3 Likes

Also, remember that to handle noise isolation, you probably want separate batteries per-device. Some stuff will absolutely end up putting noise out on its power bus, and if everything is on the same battery, it’s probably effectively on the same wire.

Thanks for your explainations guys.

So it adds up to 66 watts in total, if I understand correct.
The Dreadbox desktops are actually powered on a normal usb phone charger, so I´m a bit unsure about those and just looked up the standard Erebus power supply for the requirements:

OT mk1 6/3A =18 watts

Nymphes 15/1A = 15 watts

Erebus 15/1A = 15 watts

Efx pedal 9/1A = 9 watts

Efx pedal 9/1A = 9 watts

Total of 66 Watts.

I was looking at something like this
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B0BP7GQFS8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1AN08RHB7JYIU&psc=1

Would it be overkill in your opinion or should I rather go the separate powerbanks solution as @Dymaxion suggested?
I´m thinking the busking set should be around 2 hours

No sure what this means but I would love to see a picture of that paper mache creature that you made

theyre saying having that much gear in public could be inviting people to steal your things

4 Likes

I live in Berlin!

2 Likes

Exactly. Your setup is several thousands dollars worth of equipment. Somebody will rob you for it. It’s only a matter of when. Please be careful.

3 Likes

Thanks for the concern guys but where I´m living, we are very safe

1 Like

Okay! Great!
My question then is what is your schtick? Yo can write the best song in the world and it doesn’t mean anything unless you have a schtick to go along with it. For the public performance aspect of it, I mean. For example, there was a very successful busker at the Pikes Place Market known as the Paper Horn Man, and his thing was he used a waxed paper cup against the side of his mouth, playing it like a trumpet with the vibrations of his lips. It was quite loud, kind of like a kazoo, and he had a beautiful baritone voice, like Paul Robeson. Absolutely captivating, commanding performances. He made enough to get by doing it.
Eventually someone stabbed him and took his money and he never returned to it, but he really had a good thing going.
What’s your set like?

1 Like

What an awful story… :disappointed_relieved:

seems small at 148 Wh:

66 watts * 2 hours session * 1.25 efficiency loss = 165 Watts in total

You will deepletly after the session, which is not good to any battery.

1 Like

wow, sounds terrible!

Well I don´t have a schtick honestly but it might come along the way.

But I´ve been a touring musician for the past 15 years playing most of Europe in a continuous circle, mostly playing drums, synth and guitar. It´s been my main job and supported my family as my wife has been either pregnant or studying.
Electronic music has been a big part of my life but more like a free space, since I been working with or for bands and artists.
Then one year ago, in the midst of rehearing for a Album recording and a tour I had an accident while playing with my kids at the playground. I fell backwards down and broke a lower vertebrae in my spine.
I had to quit all my music engagements and spend the last year literally getting back on my feet again.

I just had my second OP to get all the screws and bolts taken out and I´m doing pretty well now.
Playing on the street is something I been returning to all my life when changes occurred and changes in my life are obvious here.
I´m doing funky techno or dance music, call it what ever and people can stay and listen or pass by while I jam over 2 banks on the OT and her friends. I´ll and gather experience, get to be better in action and get hopefully get some gigs booked before wetter turns could again.

But right now I need to work out the powerbanks situation and I´m not too bothered about getting jumped or robed. I´m all for going forward with positive vibes and have a great time this summer.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you heal up quickly!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your injury, and while playing with your children no less! Truly awful! I wish you well on your journey to recovery, and want nothing more for you than success. Please forgive my gloomy response, my knee jerk reaction was to worry for your safety. Sending you positive vibes, even if shrouded in tales of criminal activity.

1 Like

Thanks, I´ll get back to the drawingboard and try to fin another solution

1 Like

Thanks guys, no problem at all and not to worry,.

I´m healing and everything is really going great

1 Like

have insurance rider policy to cover theft and damage losses to expensive gear. That is what I do and not expensive.