Power brick, how do you record MC

What is a reliable power brick for MC live use? How do you record MC ,how do you achieve proper volume levels for posting on line? What programs, tablets, laptops, mastering programs, what format do you record in? Does Audacity sound as good as a pro DAW?

use the forum search, there is a lot of power brick / adapter info on here all ready.

there are millions of recording solutions and DAWs, read some reviews, try out some demo versions.

Audacity sounds as good as any other DAW, it’s as good as your soundcard and source material. of course a DAW will actually let you compose music, apply compression, EQ, effects etc. good luck!

Whatever you feel comfortable with. At this point, every DAW out there is capable of transparent sound. I use Reaper to record all of my gear, it’s a bit utilitarian but is pretty customisable and solid.

I also use Landr to master my tracks (at least, the ones that aren’t being mastered by a label I release on). I don’t have time or energy to master things myself, nor do I have the money to pay someone to master them for me. I go in on a group buy of a Landr subscription every year and it works well for me.

There is no difference in terms of sound, it’s just math and all DAWs do the math in the same way.
It’s more about the workflow and maybe what comes packaged with your DAW.
An audio editor like Audacity lets you record and do processing, you can even load effects plugin, but the workflow and tools are not centered around composing, arranging and mixing like in a DAW.

Thanks for replies, how do I connect MC to a power brick ? It seems they all have USB out ports. I don’t want to try to power via micro USB on back of MC . How do I connect MC to power brick?

Landr sounds interesting. I barely have time to be creative and have fun on MC and mastering to me is not fun. I used Ableton for years and I never quite got the sound I wanted , so now I try to avoid the laptop as much as possible. Thanks for suggestions. greetings from Arizona.

Please avoid asking two very different questions in the same thread.
And use the search engine before asking a question.

Powerbanks such as XT Power are pretty good.
There’s a hole on the left side of the MC that makes it possible to use e.g. a regular Elektron PSU plug, or a powerbank.

Recording is a whole other subject, please do some research first. Getting the sound you want out of a DAW require some education, there are very good books about music production to discover what you are missing to achieve your goals.

1 Like

I record at 24/48 , the MC audio output is 24/48. I use the USB sound card in MC
But then to upload to say Sound Cloud or any site it needs to be dithered and the volume needs to be raised to correct LUFS level, this is where I get lost and stuck, I’m tired of being stuck.

Actually the XT power banks are perfect for other bigger Elektron boxes that need 12V. For the M:C (and M:S), any power bank will do the trick as it needs 5V. You will just need the right cable to connect from a USB (type A) port to one of the two power sockets of the machine : the main one on the back (3.5 x 1.35 mm), or the one of the left side, dedicated to the power handle ( 5.5 x 2.1mm I think).

Thanks for the useful information, I don’t see any of this in manual as far as what type of cable.

Battery In: Center positive 5.5 × 2.1 barrel jack, 4–10 V DC from the manual, where do get this cable,

Here is an XT Power I use to power an AR with its 12V output, and a mode:cycles as well using this cable :

Wow and it goes into the main power supply not the DC input, that’s awesome thanks

Yes the main one (it’s DC as well)

Wow

The benefit of using the side power input is that it uses the battery features of the firmware. I’m not sure how it’d work with a USB powerbank, but it has an auto shutdown when using AA batteries.

Ok now I’m getting some where. thanks

Not sure it’s really adapted to power banks, though.
If you disconnect brutally, you loose everything that hasn’t been saved anyway.

Yeah, that’s true. Power banks would likely put out a constant 5V until they’re depleted. Forget what I said!

I’d still recommend using the side port though.

I wonder if support would advise on which power input to use for a power bank since it involves an external party product. I will try to ask them. With the demise of Power Handle they should explain what cable, what port, and specs for an external power bank.