Powerbank->Magsafe Adapter (MacBook)

Wondered if anyone knows of a USB powerbank -> Apple Magsafe adapter so that I could charge my Macbook from a powerbank?

Your MacBook will presumably have more than one USB-C port (if modern) … why not try that route, or if only one port is available look at a hub with power pass through - amazon do one for £15ish

or spend a bit of cash getting an apple specific connector on the end of a wire - if even possible, no idea

as mentioned, only useful if you have a recent MacBook which allows use of the USB-C port for powering up

3 Likes

Exactly what @7schlaf says. The MagSafe MacBooks come with a USB-C to MagSafe cable in the box!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, so they do !!! Oops

2 Likes

I probably should’ve said my MacBook is considered ‘vintage’ these days - mid 2012 so no USB-C ports (but plenty of others!)

Edit: I think that means I need a Magsafe 2 connection.

Edit: Hang on, it’s Magsafe 1 I think.

1 Like

If your battery is showing signs of age, maybe consult a local Apple Store to change it before it inflates and brakes the motherboard.

Battery is fairly new actually. They’re easily replaceable on those models. I just want the ability to charge the MacBook from my USB-C powerbank (if ever needed).

1 Like

I didn’t expect such a thing to exist, but apparently… MagSafe 1 to USB-C PD cable for MacBook | Mobisun International

YMMV with unofficial accessories, of course!

Hmmm. I’m not sure my powerbank has a PD socket. Also I found (just before you posted this) the same thing locally for €17! Looks like the same thing only half the price.

Any idea how I could find out if either of the two USB-C sockets on my powerbank have PD capability?

your old MacBook certainly doesn’t have PD, so as far as I can tell, this means the Voltage should drop to 5V as a safety precaution (unless the cable does the negotiation to the right voltage) - so if the Voltage input from your existing Magsafe charger is 5V you may be in the right ballpark … sounds like a lot of faff - a less desirable option may be to carry a spare battery instead of a powerbank

the base of your powerbank would have a printed list of supported PD voltages over PD through the USB-C port

so if the cable negotiates a voltage, you need to know the Bank can deliver
like 5V 4A, 9V 2.5A, 12V 1.5A etc

1 Like

Ah OK, that makes a bit more sense now. I believe the output of the proper mains adapter is only 5V so would be better to use a ‘regular’ powerbank with 5V output?

i wouldn’t expect that tbh - a quick look at my old MBP magsafe brick shows in tiny grey font voltages that are clearly in the 10s like 12-15, can’t quite make it out as it’s so faded

Haha, same!

Interesting read:

1 Like