Preamp Plugins

Anyone use preamp plugins? If so which do you like?

I have the Black Rooster VPre-73, seems ok.

1 Like

Pre Trid A by Arturia. Very smooth when tracking synths and my drum machines. Once you are at the mixing stage after tracking you’re just leveling to get the balance. If you want to hear a class A pre without overdoing it this is a great example of that.

1 Like

Doesn’t really matter if you have it on when you track though. In fact it may add latency to your recordings. Unless I am missing something, you could add this in after tracking and get the exact same result.

I don’t personally use preamp plugins but this one sounds cool. Maybe I am missing how it works though.

I like console/transistor emulators like Konsol (free) and Kazrog True Iron

Two ways to approach. The first way is what you just mentioned. Track without it then use as an effect and “print”.

The other way is to track live. But adjust the EQ curve and then print. Tracking like this changes your playing style when recording sometimes because when you hear the sweet spot in the EQ bands you will adjust accordingly.

The main thing is you print the tracks to keep a snapshot of what you did and when you track other instruments in the session you will figure out if any of those need EQ correction as well.

2 Likes

Yeah if are talking about live instrument playing, then I personally do have a real preamp for that. I thought we were talking about drum machines and synths, which in my experience don’t really benefit from tracking in with a preamp. That is arguable, some people swear by it, but those people are typically using hardware.

For tracking in a drum machine the way you are describing, I think that is when hardware really is quite valuable. I personally use an OTO Boum for this. A bit more expensive than a $99 plugin, but it will definitely change the sound of your drum machine and influence how you program it.

3 Likes