Preset locks on M:C

I am new to the Elektron world having just purchased my first machine, the Model: Cycles. So far I am very happy with the instrument but I have noticed what I consider odd behaviour as regards preset locks and track parameter changes.

My first impression was that the preset locks are unaffected by changes made to the track parameters (sweep, contour, decay etc) when the sequencer is running. However, I’m finding that the preset locks are affected, but only as I am actually moving the knob. They then revert to their original state once I have stopped moving the knob.

This sometimes makes for an interesting result but I don’t always want this. I am finding it a particular problem as regards adjusting “shape” if the chord machine is in use on the track because even if the chords are locked then I am still hearing random chords as I move the shape knob.

Can anyone advise if this is how the M:C should operate? If so, is there some kind of workaround? It would strike me as better if the preset locks were affected by track parameter changes in the same way as the machine on that track (the fact that this happens momentarily suggests it is a possibility though I imagine it is a burden on the processor) or instead not at all, rather than the “somewhere in between” I am currently getting from the M:C.

Yep, this is how it’s supposed to work, and I know it can be annoying. I’d think of it as being somewhere between a bug and an unfortunate feature. I suppose that at least a part of the problem is that for an individual step it’s possible to lock the parameters, but as soon as the sequencer moves on to the next step, it’s not possible to keep the parameters locked anymore, even though the sound hasn’t decayed yet.

As far as I know, there’s no workaround. My suggestion is to simply not use preset locks on those tracks where you intend to do live knob manipulations. Instead, make a 64 bar pattern with lots of different probabilities and conditional trigs to create variety.

To be honest, I’m not sure why anyone would want to adjust Chord machine’s shape parameter live anyway, unless your goal is to create chaos…?