Prices Retailer vs. elektron.se

Hi! Looking at European webstore prices (want to buy Elektron OT or Rytm). There is a huge gap between elektron.se and webstores. Is this recent? Is this normal? Should webstores catch up? I did see an increase since December, but still large difference. (I’m fairly new here)

I wonder if the store prices reflect stock that was purchased before the increase and its a matter of time before they catch up…but thats just a guess, I have no idea.

Looking at the thomann store in Germany and it seems to be on par with elektron.se (even 10€ cheaper)

Now I also see it: Justmusic has an A4 for 1499€, while thomann has it for 1689€ and official elektron.se for 1699€

There are many possible reasons for this:

1. The standard discrepancy which many manufacturers implement between their own webshop price and what they ask retailers to sell at. This is to create a bit of balance and not have all customers go directly to the webshop, but to instead use a retailer - it’s a never-ending push and pull between the two types of outlets–because retailers can provide things like aftercare and customer service which the manufacturer can’t or doesn’t, etc etc.
  2. The retailer has temporarily lowered their price for some promotional period agreed to between manufacturer and retailer…but they haven’t raised their price back up after said promotional period end (happens allllll the time - it’s actually a little trick retailers use)
  3. In the case of the retailer posting a higher price…sometimes they just aren’t paying attention after the manufacturer has allowed the price to be lower.

It’s normal in Sweden at least, has been like that at least since 2018. It’s always somewhere around 100-200€ more expensive on elektron.se compared to retail stores. But the prices has gone up like crazy the last year in general. Analog four mk II has gone up 1/3 in a year for example.

1 Like