Problems recording automations from a midi track to a DAW

Hello, I’m new to the forum and to elektron machines in general, I hope I’m posting in the right section!
First things first: I’m running Bitwig 3.3 on a 2012 macbook pro (i5 2.5 GHz Dual-Core, 16 GB of RAM) running Catalina (10.15.7). Both overbridge and my digitone’s firmware are up to date.

I only recently begun using overbridge to record from my Digitone but so far I’ve only used this setup to take advantage of bitwig’s modulators and to make multitrack recordings via usb.
Today I’m using the digitone to sequence an ipad pro (2017) running iVCS3 in AUM; I’m not using bitwig to modulate anything, I just want to record what I’m doing.
As far as sync goes, everything is working, but I can’t record automation from digitone’s midi tracks into bitwig.
I’m using a separate track in bitwig to send midi from the digitone to the ipad and I have knobs A and B mapped to 2 parameters in iVCS3; the modulation is working without giving me any problem but I can’t record the 2 knobs on bitwig. Actually at one point it was almost working; it randomly recorded 1 of the 2 knobs, which is weird…
The midi signal seems goes from the digitone to bitwig and from bitwig to the ipad without any issue and I have no idea of what could be causing such a weird behaviour.

Anyone ever had a similar problem?