PSA: Digitakt inputs not routed to main in Class Compliant USB mode

Why do you have to process them in other samplers? Isn’t resampling enough if you are gonna do it out of the DT anyway (as in, will have to work with another file)? Sample once with the low-pass, assign that sample, move to a high-pass and resample that, done. Even though I’d prefer a band-pass (or better, give me the whole filter architecture of the DN) it’s still very doable in the device itself and less clunky than depending on something else to do a simple band-pass.

2 Likes

@victorcampos
I find it more clunky doing resample from the high/low method. I want to adjust and tweak the filter to get it to sit with the other sounds, so doing the resample method doesn’t fit my workflow. It’s ok for drums, but I find it harder with melodic content and samples to use the static cut off highs, resample, cut off low etc… I inevitably want to change it as I add or change other parts and it becomes a hassle…

I guess the solution is to pipe it over overbridge so I can use the inputs and then I can put a BP filter on each track if I wanted… except the whole point of the DT for me is to get away from the computer :slightly_smiling_face:
If it only had that filter from the DN…
Elektron staff mentioned on here a long time ago that it would be possible to bring it across and they’d consider it… I’ve been keeping my fingers crossed they would for over a year, and maybe it will someday. Hopefully soon

Fully understanding the totality of this thread…

Here’s another vote to say “please make the USB output reflect the main output 1:1, including the monitoring choice.”

Yes, we understand that it’s really dual mono, but what we don’t understand is why the analog signal being monitored at the main output isn’t reflected in the main L/R mix via class compliant USB audio. It’s weird.

2 Likes

FWIW I’ve sent in a note to support with this feature request. I don’t expect anything to come of it, but I highly encourage you to do the same thing nicely with a bit of explanation about why you feel the current implementation is a bit misleading/crippled.

I feel like the option to just use the inputs or the internal would be nice, that way you could just send a mixer into the inputs. Either way class compliant USB audio was never a promised feature more of a bonus that was added in, the idea of it being misleading seems odd to me.

2 Likes

I suppose you’re right about that. It’s just extremely strange that the main output via a class compliant stereo pair wouldn’t reflect what you hear in your headphones / at the master output. It’s good to have some perspective on this, I’m thankful that they developed the feature at all.

1 Like

I don’t think this issue of not being able to use the inputs should be phrased as “reflect what you hear on the headphones” or “monitoring” or so on.
The Digitakt without access to inputs is not a functional Audio Interface. It’s a class compliant “device” but very limited and useless if you work with audio.
Want to record some bass for that track you’re working on?. You can’t.
Want to record that synth you’re sequencing?. You can’t.
Sure, you can use your “other” audio interface, but now you don’t have the Digitakt tracks. Might as well never use it as a class compliant device.
I just don’t get it, this would be a good selling point. “Integrated 2 in - 8 out Audio Interface”.

Is this ‘through signal’ problem ever going to be fixed? Prior to 1.20 I had no issues. Also not happy with how randomization of samples is now handled, but that’s a different story…

Very glad I just learned this from you. I’ve been on the edge of selling my digitone to get a digitakt. I thought for sure I would still be able to use it as an interface or to mix in an external signal

Hello, I’m trying to use the DT as an audio interface.
I can record on Ableton whatever is on the DT, but not any other external instrument.
I can hear them on the DT, but not in Ableton.
I have my mixer plugged into audio in, then a USB going into my mac.
in “USB cobfiguration” I tried overbridge, and usb audio/midi.
Did I miss a setting?

You are not doing anything wrong. EXT inputs are not passed / outputted over USB. There is no setting to change this…only possibly possible with future firmware update, maybe.

I don’t think it’s the firmware, it’s an issue (or “issue” since it was consciously designed that way) with the physical architecture of the circuitry. I remember reading an Elektron employee stating that it’s not possible to add in with firmware, but can’t remember where.

It’s purely a software/firmware issue.
OB lets you monitor the input audio meaning the hardware is capable.

Yeah? Glad to be wrong then!

1 Like

I dont think the idea of not being able to apply effects to incoming audio (the way digitone can) due to hardware limitations is true.

The effects are send effects, meaning jts a single stereo channel being processed. This stereo channel is made from a mix of all incoming signals sent to the send bus.
Adding a new channel to the send bus is a cheap operation, literally just a sum of 2 signals. More audio in the stereo bus isn’t going to increase the dsp requirements for the send effects since its still just processing the left and right channel.

This to me means it’s either a strange design choice to not let us monitor/process incoming audio, or they just haven’t got round to it yet.

The only hardware limitation I could see is that there’s no dedicated button for it, but we could definitely add secondary functionality to one of them imo!

1 Like

Hi @eangman, any update on this? Hoping the devs said “no problem,” not “no way”…

Hi, does the Digitone have this limitation as well?

no - but that’s because the inputs are intended for a different purpose on DN and it creates no conflict to support it as it is on the device, so you need to raise the input levels manually as per physical outs

1 Like

Thank you @avantronica. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No updates on this yet. But I have seen it on the “Nice improvements to have” list for the Digitakt. But that list contains all manner of big and small, possible and impossible firmware improvements so the judges are still out on this one. So, as always, no promises but let’s see what the dev crew will cook up for us :slight_smile:

14 Likes