PULSAR-23 by SOMA

In reality, that’s pretty wise of you, dear.

2 Likes

Ha ha, thanks. And you what will you do ? You too have a bunch of gear, will that stop you ?
:scream:

Indeed.

1 Like

The box of robot farts cascading down an endless staircase possesses an appeal which eludes me. But each to their own. Happy holidays! And I’m still getting one.

1 Like

Yeah, but robot farts with human characteristics make all the difference. With respect to externally applied potatoes and diodes, I’m not blown away by any particular timbre I can get with my P-23, but with the styles of modulation and rhythmic feels that lay nicely under my hands with this unified playing system. Requiring it to cover conventional drum machine duties before justifying the cost of owning its quirkiness and characteristic sonic possibilities isn’t going to justify its expense, or even its space-hogginess in my setup. My debate was between a new P-23 and one of those new Buchla Easel Command Centers, which are also about the overall feel of it as an instrument in addition to a good, but limited sound range (compared to my modular rack). Taking playing feel, but also price, space, and even waiting time into account, I don’t regret going with the P-23. Also, I’m the type that always ends up “getting them both,” but as a performance system (solo and jams with others), I still can’t imagine the Easel as fitting into my rig in a really usable way, but the P-23 does fit.

2 Likes

Brings the future funk. :joy:

:laughing: I think there are some really cool sounds within the scrambled mess in that RD demo.

I’ve been going through the very same process and what I really look forward to with p23 is the hands on playing experience. I do think some of the videos online are the equivalent of giving someone a violin who has never played it but equates bonkers unequivocally with good. P23 is an instrument which should take time to find ones voice with. I also struggle with where I’m going to put it in my setup. But I’ll survive. I’ve paid and waiting for shipping notice.

And maybe the point is to have an OT dedicated and ready to grab loops, the mess might sound fine when snippets of it are looped. Oh, fancy that I just bought a second OT for just that purpose - it even has and LFO button instead of FX1, in accordance with elektron QC ‘limited edition’ these days.

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
[off-topic] You can ask Elektron for a FX1 button, they’ll send it to you. It’s extremely easy to replace the button without damaging the unit with e.g. a guitar pick…[/off-topic]

Way I see the Pulsar-23, it seems to be an instrument on its own, one that is a bit exclusive, that need all your focus and that you can’t really let on its own (as in : program) while operating another machine on its side…
Am I right, or is this just some kind of mental construction of mine?

2 Likes

Speaking only from experience with the Lyra 8, that feels like Vlad’s intention when designing these instruments. You can leave them running on their own if you like, but they will bugger off into the land of fuckybambooboo if you leave them too long.

5 Likes

On the other hand the p23 is much more controllable via cv. So a4 or modular stuff might probably tame this one more than the Lyra. I actually sold my Lyra because of exactly this. If only it would have had some kind of quantization it would have made integration much easier for me

1 Like

Needless to say I am on the list for the p23

I think it definitely can be that, I’m keen to have it going to OT so bits can be grabbed. I then have another OT which I’ll setup with other loops ready to trigger. That’s going to be my setup for hopefully a long time. Studio freeze. Please, Lord.

2 Likes

Vlad’s deep explanation video.

1 Like

Exaaaactly :star_struck:
And I will definitely also be using it on it’s own - for the purpose of learning it well and recording the result for sound design and loop creation.

P23 has a proper midi implementation right? So can I also sequence each drum part from OT?

1 Like

yep!

$6 Pulsar modulation expander. Haha.

11 Likes

Anyone know where they are up to with dispatching? I’m #592