PULSAR-23 by SOMA

I honestly not sure how rytm does midi output on the pads. I know that with midi learn hitting a pad will trigger it, but then the sequencer wont. If I learn the sequencer as it plays it will learn the sequencer so there is a difference between them. I am not sure what the Pulsar learns but it has to be more than just the midi channel.

Some speedy footwork on the pulsar
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CO7u8WnhkJ6/?utm_medium=copy_link

2 Likes

I am in a very similiar situation, I sold my eurorack setup and switched to A4 mk1 and AR mk2… later I sold my A4 and bought some vintage keyboard synths (polysix, sh-09) , just because I love that 80’s sound. :smiley:
Then Pulsar came along and I had to sell the AR to fund it.
I kinda miss the AR a bit, but I love the Pulsar so much, it gives me some patching oportunity, some of that modular freedom and it has a unique sound that nothing else has. I am considering to pair it with a Digitakt to give it more modulation and MIDI control, samlpling and fx. I think they would be a great combination with almost endless posibilities. My plan is to use only these 2 boxes in a live setup, DT loaded with pads sampled from the Polysix and some sounds from the SH09, and could use it for live sampling the Pulsar during the performance. It would be a very simple convenient setup, with no mixer needed, maybe will add some fx pedals to this setup , but that is all, there are already a lot of routing options with these two. I’ll buy the DT in a couple if weeks from now, and will start practicing the jams , and will let you know how it turned out.

If you can afford it, Octatrack and Pulsar are a match made in heaven… you can take each individual output of pulsar and send it to Octatrack for Fx mayhem. You can have prearranged loops from your favorite 80s synth and have that playing while you live patch pulsar. Then you can sample a cpl of bars of pulsar and have that loop while you rearrange the patching. And also listen to that patching from the headphone outputs DJ style… then on the midi side you have arps 3 lfo’s per track and retrigg.

Octatrack is such a great device with Pulsar

5 Likes

Can’t agree more. The OT and Pulsar are made to be together. Also, the midi sequencer can achieve good things with the bass module. Octatrack is a winner

2 Likes

Totally. Personally The only reason why I keep the OT.

1 Like

How about some OT/Pulsar videos for us Pulsar, non-Octatrack owners?

1 Like

Poor OT …

1 Like

Absolutely, will do some more. I’ve just been enjoying pulsar and eurorack so much lately…

3 Likes

Is this just using clock dividers of the pulsar or is it sequenced externally?

It’s just the pulsar clock dividers. The octatrack definitely is sending the clock to pulsar though. I can’t remember exactly, but I think the bass channel was recorded via the looper, seeing as there’s nothing hooked up to the trigger and the switch is set to play.

The drone is also probably coming from the octatrack, or maybe the Lyra. No, wait, the octatrack? and it sounds like I sidechained the kick to it.

Nice…im using the AR to drive mine…much better than the mpc x

AR and Pulsar sounds like a blast! The more drums, the merrier. Recently I use the OT to track the pulsar more frequently than I do the clock dividers. Unless I’m missing something, I sort of find that it doesn’t work all that well being triggered by its own dividers when working with other synths that are triggered by the OT because even though the clock is sent to it, it doesn’t tell the thing to stop/play, so you are basically left with a frustrating game of beat matching (I suck at that too).

The clock dividers however, are a million times more inspiring than sequencing it via OT IMO. And then there is shaos…I think this is where it gets really turns into an “organismic” instrument similar to the Lyra.

I’m trying to boost each individual output of pulsar to euro level via MI Veils. But I’m getting weird phasing issues with BD and Bass track… if I max the attenuation the audio cuts out… if I max the volume of my euro mixer the audio drops out… I can’t have BD and Bass playing at the same time cause then the audio drops out. Anyone had any similar experience with euro and Pulsar

Honestly I’ve had weird stuff happening to my modules every time I’m trying to integrate it with Euro and it’s getting really annoying.

Surely you want to be boosting the levels, not attenuating them?

Surely you are right :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Have you tried boosting the signal with something other than the veils?

No but I tried boosting other things with veils and had no problems… and it’s just BD and Bass, the rest of the tracks are fine

1 Like

Interesting.

Does the phasing happen if they’re just connected to a normal mixer at their usual levels?

No it doesn’t. It connects fun to Octatrack for instance. But every time I plug it into my euro, there’s some funny business happening. All from no sounds from some modules to this phasing issue