PULSAR-23 by SOMA

Haha no it’s a collab with a live drummer, but they also used an sp404 at points and did edits/glitches to some of their drumming

Hi,
I ordered my black Pulsar also direct from Soma in Russia. I got a tracking no. and followed it up. I live in Germany.

It took very long (nearly two month) until I got the notice that it has arrived the custom Control authority at my hometown. There I had to catch it up. To get it out I had to pay €368 import tax and they inspect the system
(I hat to open the box and I must explain for what I will use it).

So at the end it cost me over €1900.

But it is really a crazy machine, totally different from what I had so far. But a good addition e.g. for the Octatrack.

The new Cosmos I ordered from a German Dealer to avoid unexpected import taxes.

1 Like
13 Likes

Sometimes I feel like I should sell everything but Nord Drum 2 and Octatrack to buy this thing. I’ve been watching and reading about it and I’m pretty sure that it would be quite fun to play it.

3 Likes

What a fantastic insight into a really great bunch of engineers.

3 Likes

Man, I did the same exact thing. I use the pulsar as a central hub for my entire system. Mind you, I make really weird/abstract music….
I have an elektron analog four, a Roland sp404, and a Mackie 1202, which feeds cheap guitar pedals. Running different things (pocket operators, Korg monotron delay, cassette players, dictaphones, mics, contact mics, etc) into the Pulsar and then being able to immediately sample on the 404 is a dream come true.
No regrets.

2 Likes

I’ve been posting some brief videos of pulsar on my Instagram:
@toddtronica

The pulsar never ceases to amaze me!

2 Likes

Dope jams man.

Been eyeing the Pulsar for a minute, zero funds at the moment but one day it will be mine :water_buffalo: :gorilla: :bomb:

2 Likes

It sounds really good, thanks! I’m gonna listen to all of them.

Well, I’ve just found a Pulsar-23 for €1600. Of course, I should sell something first. I have OT - MD (non-UW) - Nord Rack 2 and Nord Drum 2. I’m thinking about selling the Nord Rack 2 and the Machinedrum. Nord Drum is something quite special and really difficult to find again. I don’t want to sell it for now.

I actually had a modular system which I had to sell later. I was using it with SuperCollider to make some kind of abstract music. And then I sold them all as I was dealing with financially tough times. I don’t really have any problem with the Elektron workflow, but sometimes I get a feeling that I need some sort of modular system again, but it should be limited as well, I mean obviously not the eurorack world. So there is the Pulsar-23. I was thinking about the Plumbutter, but the Pulsar sounds much more interesting and fun. It is really hands on.

Using Pulsar-23 with OT sending midi to it and also ND2, playing some field recordings in background…etc sounds pretty good.

Edit: The Machinedrum is already gone. It was really fast :slight_smile: Tomorrow I’m gonna collect the Pulsar-23.

By the way, I don’t know who this guy is, but I like his Pulsar-23 videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJqez6IciJo

I sold my Lyra-8 and now it seems that it was not a good idea :slight_smile: She and the Pulsar-23 are pretty good friends.

3 Likes

yeah, Lyra and Pulsar are besties.

Not selling Lyra anytime soon, she is one of a kind :unicorn:

1 Like

I sold my Lyra to fund a house that I’m moving to. They definitely are buddies. Pulsar can also do some really gnarly drones/soundscapes, but Lyra is still the king of that domain.

Nice! Glad you’re grabbing a pulsar! Enjoy!
I had an Octatrack that I used for sending midi to pulsar and for sampling. I ended up getting rid of the OT. For me, I had a hard time keeping up with OT while tweaking out Pulsar. I probably just didn’t have my OT muscle memory proficient enough for such a feat!
Have a great time with Pulsar!!!
You’re going to love it!

2 Likes

Pulsar is already here.

8 Likes

Question for the Pulsar owners - is this machine too deep/daunting/complex for someone who has never used modular before?

1 Like

I mean the synthesis is very deep but because it’s semi modular patching isn’t required - I’m a big fan of semi modulars for this reason. There’s enough there to learn and experiment with, and the circuits are protected so you can go wild w patching without worry. If certain modules or functions don’t click right away you can ignore them and still get a sound you’ll like.

3 Likes

First grooves with the Pulsar-23 using nothing but Pulsar sequencer and clock.

12 Likes

Beautiful video. I don’t own any Soma instruments yet, but I soon will.

1 Like

Has anybody ever played the Pulsar 23 on a big sound system? (tricky given the pandemic I know…)

There was This dude further up that used it live with his band as the drummer… he had videos and all, i think there was some talking about but systems involved as well

Every new post in this thread is something like an additional grain of sand on the Pulsar side of the balance…I’m not sure what’s on the other side, perhaps when I see there is nothing I’ll just go ahead and embrace the inevitable.

3 Likes