Purchasing used

Ok yeah. It can totally do what I’m after. Now. Keys or save the cash and get the small box….

1 Like

DN - Digitone
DT - Digitakt

Am I getting this correct?

1 Like

Yep!

2 Likes

Only thing I would be concerned about is even if it’s just a wobbly knob (giggity) it could mean the unit was dropped or something was dropped on it to damage the knob… if all else looks ok cosmetically then should be ok if you can try it out first.

I wish I could try it first. Unfortunately it’s used online. I should probably just go with the brand new one. I’m sure it not only comes with a warranty but a return policy as well if I decide I don’t jive with it. Or just purchase a used non-key version and not spend as much.

yeah, you could always flip it again if you get it and you don’t like the knob issue. maybe they can send a video or more pics to show it working.

A4 is definitely inferior as a MIDI sequencer. That being said, if all you actually want to do with it is to send the exact same notes you have programmed on an A4 track to another synth to layer it with a patch on another synth, this is a bit easier with A4. You just set the A4 track to send MIDI on a dedicated channel and you’re done. On DN you would have to copy the track to a MIDI track first. No big deal, both works, but A4 is a bit more immediate in that regard. But limitied in a lot of other ways.

If you decide to get a DN I would maybe first test it with a used module. If you feel like you’re missing a keyboard and a few extra knobs but love everything else, you could still upgrade to DK later on. Or just buy a keystep 37 or other MIDI controller and hook it up to your DN as dedicated DN keyboard.

Yeah it’s making it a hard choice. As the a4 was what I originally looked at first. And now realizing that the sequencer is amazing and can sequence other equipment….

I purchased a used DN Keys from a user here. My volume knob is wiggly too. I heard it’s common. The Keys is amazing, a much more complete instrument than the module. $750 is a fucking steal for an incredible instrument, wobbly knob or no

2 Likes

If you’re concerned about the wobbly volume knob, and since you’re saying that the device is going to live in the studio, you could just set the volume once, hook it up to a cheap mixer (or something like the Behringer MX400) and then never touch the volume knob ever again.

I had a wobbly volume knob from the factory. Elektron sent me a replacement and a local person swapped it out for me along with some other gear repairs.

It was annoying but was not problematic for use otherwise.

I just checked my DK volume knob and it’s not wobbly. I got it via a great deal here. I wasn’t planning on getting the Keys version, but the keybed is quite nice and the extra (assignable) knobs are, as well. I’ve read that FM benefits from velocity and while I don’t have enough sound design experience to confirm this, playing through the presets with the keys as opposed to the buttons really makes a difference. The presets designed for the DK are particularly good. The downside, for me, is impracticality; it’s big and awkward.

Good point. I do have a mixer everything will run through