Purchasing used

I have found a used digitone key for about 250 bucks less than a brand new one 750 USD used vs 999USD new. The listing says that the volume knob is alittle wobbly compared to the rest of the knobs and that it has been that way since they purchased the unit but has not caused any issue. I’m curious if others have had the same experience with the volume knob and if it’s worth the extra 250 bucks if the knob being “wiggly” as the post says really is a concern or not. This would be a “studio” piece of gear that wouldn’t go anywhere other than a stand. I would much rather go with the used since I can purchase it with affirm. The upside is that the new would be through perfect circuit which I could still finance as well. And probably come with some type of warranty. suggestions?

That sounds like an unbelievable bargain (especially if the volume knob still works). My scam radar would go into red alert :slight_smile:

Edit: OP first stated, erroneously, that the device itself costed 250 bucks. So this response of mine is no longer relevant.

1 Like

If you can go check it out in person or it is through a reputable shop, that’s one thing, but if not, I’d say no way.

3 Likes

I’m still alittle on the fence if I should go fm with the Digitone or stick to what I know, subtractive with the A4. The used is online, not anywhere near me.

There’s a lot of scams on popular synths online. I’m pretty sure a DK for 250 is one of them.

You can find a used DN for 500 or below. Prices are quite stable I would say, so you can try one out and sell later on if you don’t like it. It’s as immediate and accessible as FM gets, but I tend to rely on presets and then tweak them. But there are tons of great presets covering all kind of sounds.

I would say it is almost as deep as A4 but sounds more impressive out of the gate. A4 uses basic analogue parameters you know but is not really immediate to program. If you’re looking for a sweetspotty, “fun” analogue, imo A4 isn’t it. If you’re looking for an extremely deep and flexible studio workhorse, A4 is it.

Big plus for DN is 8 note polyphony on internal tracks and MIDI tracks. If that’s important for you, go with DN instead of A4.

$250 is not a realistic price on a functional Digitone in decent physical condition regardless of the volume knob situation. I’m with the others here: this is most likely a scam, and I’d stay away. To your other point about FM and subtractive synths - I always thought FM wasn’t good for anything but terrible 80s cheese until the Digitone came out. Got mine used in perfect shape with a cover for $525 a few years ago - it’s one of my favorite instruments now and totally worth the asking price.

Well Digitone is a subtractive synth but it uses FM for oscillators, you can just use basic waveforms. But, the good thing about it is that the FM is very easy to experiment with compared to any other FM synth, you don’t even have to understand it really, it’s just fun & you will get the hang of it as you go. In terms of p-locking you can easily achieve some unique & interesting sequences.

EDIT: oh, and having 4 polyphonic Midi Tracks with conditionals & the ability to sequence bank/program changes is priceless too.

3 Likes

my take on this is: if you dont need it, dont get it.
doesnt matter how good of a deal it is.

ive also seen a DN for 250 and it got sold pretty quick, but there were obvious circumstances for that price.

…yup…that sounds too good to be truu…

but eyeing for a dtone keys is a good plan anyways…great keybed…great controler skills for any external gear and a great soundengine…a truu music instrument from all angles…

the a4 is pretty much the best synth concept from sweden…but what they did with fm in the tone is also outstanding…so hell yeah, even in fm, it’s still working in a classic subtractive fashion with it’s filters…no worries…

It was around 5 am when I posted this and my fingers did not type what I was thinking properly. The used DK is 250 bucks cheaper than a brand new DK. 750 instead of 999.

Definitely don’t mind a workhorse. I currently own a Blofeld which is great for pads and atmosphere. Wanted something alittle more percussive with bleeps and bloops and being able to add pads as well as sequencing. I do need the instrument to play well with others. If I’m not mistaken A4 with over ridge would work well with midi to the blofeld through a DAW. I like the multi track idea. Being able to sequence and piece together patterns with more than one sound. The DN being able to connect midi better and the midi tracking does sound way better for compatibility. But again. It’s FM. Which I’m not sure about. I like being able to use LFO’s on an osc and not have to figure out math with another osc lol. Maybe it would grow in me.

It’s 250 under the price of a brand new. I didn’t type it out right at 5am. The FM thing is what scares me the most. It sounds amazing and the compatibility with other instruments is a HUGE plus over the A4. I just wonder if I would be able to get similar sounds with it. I’m wanting to do more percussive short decay low sustain type sounds. Think 303 but not as nasty. I’m working on an ambient project with more Berlin school sequencing. Which elektron sequencer would be perfect for I think.

And the fact that it plays well with other instruments through midi. And the extra midi tracks. Idk it’s starting to seem like a no brainer maybe.

1 Like

There’s 3 Elektrons I’ve kept, the A4, Rytm & digitone & I like them all, they all bring something unique to the table & compliment each other. I did have a DT too & loved it for midi tracks but at the time I had an OT which was better for sampling, so sold it on. The DN has half the amount of midi tracks but 8 note poly vs 4 on the DT.

I do admit I love the analogs the most, but the DN is a dinky little box that can easily take into territory you never imagined via p-locking the FM parameters. But it’s also got a good selection of usable presets for standard playing & the voice allocation is 8 across all 4 tracks which is pretty good. It’s an enjoyable box & definitely worth a try. I don’t know which country you are in but there was one for sale on here in the last few days for £420 (UK) which is a really good price.

You don’t have to think about maths, just twist the knobs & hear what happens :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You should probably edit the original post, otherwise people will continue to tell you it’s a scam :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Re pricing - ok, that makes a lot more sense!

Fear not the FM synthesis! I was intimidated at first, too — the good news is that there are lots of excellent resources available to get a solid grip on what’s happening inside the box, and the interface makes it quite welcoming to FM noobs like me. @DaveMech has a video tutorial series that would be well worth checking out (I’ve been taking lessons with him, and we spent many weeks on the Digitone — it was AWESOME; now we’re working through the A4!). The Digitone’s envelopes are very snappy so I think you’ll find it well suited to percussive sounds - it really excels there in my experience - but it’s great fun for lots of different things.

I’m also on the fence with the key version which is way more than a used Digitone. I have one midi controller that is a 49 keys I think. Full big size keys with aftertouch. Some of the upgrades to the keys version sounds great. And being able to just turn in a chair and start playing another set of keys would be great. Then again I’m not really sure I would “need” the keyboard version if the dang thing is sequencing my blofeld as well

2 Likes

Updated

This is a video that sold me on the a4. The sequencing he is doing here is exactly what I’m wanting to use either the a4 or the Digitone. If the Digitone can create sounds like this then I’d be happy learning FM since it seems to be a better fit with midi. It’s a 35 min video and may be helpful to you as well since you have an a4. But you can just watch the first few minutes of the video where he showcases the full sequence.

1 Like

I like this video by Cenk which showcases it nicely

1 Like