Purpose Of Step Recording?

Hey everyone!

Been experimenting with Step Recording mode, and haven’t been able to wrap my head around its usefulness.

I usually record live either quantized or unquantized. Is it mostly for those who aren’t comfortable recording live? Or is there a more creative way to use it?

Why would anyone want to use Step Recording, and how do you all use it?

1 Like

I think it’s partially something that has been around for a long time, and because of that some people have come to like it. For example the SH101 and other synths worked like this. Of course they didn’t have elektron grid sequencers, so instead, the only way to program them was to enter sequences note for note, sequentially. Personally I don’t find it very intuitive, but some people do I guess, or have come to make it work.

As for my own use of its implementation on Elektron boxes: I sometimes use it, but never really for regular drums. When I want a melodic or tonal percussive sequence that shifts wonkily, I tend to use it, cause it’s easier to come a note short or long and end up with cool 15 step sequences accidentally. Or start typing a pseudo arpeggio with some variations, without counting the amount of steps. Which can give you unexpected results that a 16 step grid wouldn’t. Maybe others have more controlled or specific tips though:)

5 Likes

I use it on the Syntakt, it is handy for programming arps (hold Fn to reveal the keyboard) as well as rigid techno basslines.

I play lead lines and hats etc in live. So that isn’t the issue for me.

3 Likes