Questions about new Digitakt I bought

Hi everybody,

I recently bought my second Digitakt unit, this time online from a German music store in Leipzig at a discounted price using a gift code. The unit was advertised as new but unfortunately shipped with no USB cable in the box. Also, the brownish box could easily be opened as if its seal had been opened before. The screen protector had quite some scratches on it and the unit smelled like cigarette smoke to me. When I fired up the unit for the first time, the pattern name that was initially loaded was “HISINGEN” on pattern slot 9. The device shipped with firmware version 1.3 flashed onto it. According to the sticker on the unit’s bottom, it was manufactured in 2021. Also, the unit shipped with a PSU-3c power supply instead of with a PSU-3b one as mentioned on elektron.se.

Needless to say, I am quite disappointed and I feel scammed because it seems I’ve been sold a used unit at the price of a new one.

Questions:

1. How likely is it that Elektron forgot to include a USB cable with this unit?
  2. Which pattern is loaded if the unit is powered on for the very first time?
  3. With a unit manufactured in 2021, does it come pre-flashed with firmware 1.3?
  4. Can the smell of a newly manufactured unit easily be confused with the smell of cigarette smoke?
  5. How likely is it that a newly manufactured unit leaves the factory with scratches on its screen protector?
  6. Do recent units ship in brown boxes instead of in blue ones and do they all come with
    PSU-3c power supplies now?

I sincerely appreciate your responses and thank you all in advance!
Cheers!

Not likely.

Subaquatic

1.3 was released in june 2021, so around 50% chance it comes with that firmware.

Not likely.

Wouldn’t know, I only have a blue one :slight_smile: .

All hints together: You didn’t buy a new Digitakt.

3 Likes

The new digis do come in brown boxes: but probably B-stock unit or a return…
If it was discounted but didn’t mention B-stock then I’d definitely contact them

« I wanna talk with the manager »

Appreciate your feedback, that helped me a lot, thank you very much. I am in contact with the shop and going to return the unit, asking for a brand new one in exchange. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Funny enough I had the same experience. It was an error and the shop was very apologetic and gave me a voucher to say sorry.

My Digitakt was also sold as new but had clearly been used before. The store offered me a small amount of money back when I questioned it and said it had been an oversight. Apart from all the factory content being missing (I don’t need the factory content anyway) it was like new.

On the other hand I bought a returned Digitone from a German site and it arrived like it was brand spanking new (at ÂŁ200 less than a new one)

bigdave, dw23, where did you buy your Digitakt units? At a certain store in Eastern Germany by any chance?

UK store. Not going to name because they sorted it out.

Mines was a UK store too. The Digitone came from a German store but it was listed as second hand anyway.

O.K. so the shop neither explained or apologized appropriately, they didn’t seem to be interested in winning a new customer by replacing this obviously used Digitakt with a new one but instead refunded the money. Pretty annoying and disappointing experience.