Quick one: can I power my DN directly from the 12v cig adapter of my car?

Something like the above. Assuming it supplies up to 4A at the correct polarity and with the engine off to avoid voltage spikes. Thoughts?

Most 12v batteries in cars will actually be at 13.5 volts or thereabouts. You’d want to put a meter on the 12v socket and see what voltage you’ve got. Also bear in mind that in the event of a fault occurring you’ve got the potential to get a lot of current flowing so check the size of the cig lighter fuse too. It might be worth adapting that cable with an inline fuse holder and a smaller (1A QB or similar) fuse.

Theoretically if it’s a smooth, regulated 12v supply it’ll work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Will find a meter for it and check before I go plugging in anything expensive. Internal fuse is “5A, 3AG”. Good?

1 Like

That means the fuse won’t blow until the current drawn by whatever you plug in goes above 5A. Having a source that will supply a greater current than you need isn’t an issue in itself but it’s good practice (essential in my view) to ‘fuse down’ to the current rating your device requires, hence the suggestion to fit a 1A fuse after the accessory socket.

An analogy would be the domestic circuits in your home. Assuming you’re in the UK you’ll have an 80 or 100A main fuse before your electricity meter. Then in your consumer unit you’ll have a 32A circuit breaker (or 30A fuse) for the ring main for your sockets and your bedside lamp or alarm clock will have a 3A fuse in the plug top.

So should a fault develop in the lamp you’ll only get a fault current of 3A x1.5 flowing into the lamp. In the instant that a fault occurs you’ve got the potential for a huge current to flow and if you didn’t fuse down with the 32A breaker and 3A fuse that current would only be limited by the 100A fuse at your meter. You want the 3A fuse to go first. This is called discrimination. Plus you really don’t want hundreds of Amps flowing through the plug and flex of the lamp or your ring main wiring.

Same applies to your DT. the accessory socket will supply 5A happily and if a fault did develop in the DT then that 5A has the potential to cause a great deal of damage before the fuse goes. By adding a 1A fuse you reduce the potential for the larger current to flow.

Hope this makes sense?

1 Like

obvioulsy dont drive and make beats at the same time…
wait till your at traffic lights …

2 Likes

Very useful, thank you!

1 Like

If you want to make sure no more current can flow into your DN than what it needs just change fuse to a smaller vale/current rating. Not sure what current the DN needs to run.

I would not under any conditions, plug any of my gear into that thing. Do not do this. You can get small inverters, that you could just plug the powersupply that came with your device into. That does not look safe.

Why not? With the engine off a car battery should supply a relatively steady 12 to 12.6V.

I guess that makes sense. Yeah, your car battery is 12 volts, but I myself just would not do it. Maybe if you ran a wire directly from the 12 volt car battery. But, I don’t know…Maybe a cell phone charger for your lighter, then a myvolts usb cable. Maybe…just start smoking…

Please don’t just run a cable from the battery directly for the reasons I gave above. An unfused direct feed off a car battery will give around 45A at closer to 13V or more. That’s asking for magic smoke…

2 Likes