R.i.p. Chick Corea

Had the chance to see him tour with Return to Forever around 2008 and again in solo two years ago. Two magical evenings. It’s one of my biggest influences. I’ll never be able to thank my father enough for introducing me to his music.
He’ll be missed. This is going to be a Chick Corea themed weekend baby.

1 Like

I got the sense he drew a lot of joy from fostering new talent. A generous legend and a sad passing.

8 Likes

Point 6 definitely a wise advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a meditation on Sound,music and composition.Could just learn this at school and work everything else out after.

1 Like

I’m sure his fingers continue to gallop endlessly
RIP

have seen him live in concert with bobby mcferrin.
very strange concert, philharmonie in munich.
rich people leaving their seats after the first set, totally not appreciating the music… bobby mcferrin barefoot, jeans and shirt, motivating the audience to sing…
I enjoyed the rest of the concert on a much more expensive seat… next to my 1st ex-wife, totally not appreciating the music either.
whatever, about 30 minutes of their set took me on an whole other planet in my mind, magic !
I don´t know every album he was involved in, but I heard this a lot:

2 Likes

On the other end of the craft, check out the piano spec for his gigs. talk about attention to detail (warning: seriously geeky reading)

M. BACKLINE:

M1. Chick Corea - Concert Grand Piano:

YAMAHA CFX – 9-FOOT CONCERT GRAND PIANO
PIANO BENCH: THE PURCHASER MUST PROVIDE A CONCERT GRAND PIANO BENCH.
ACQUIRING YAMAHA PIANO: Please contact the Tour Coordinator for Chick Corea, who will assist you in acquiring the piano from the local Yamaha representative in your area. Purchaser will have to pay for any costs incurred for usage of such Yamaha piano. Producer will aid Purchaser in the acquiring the piano but Producer is under no obligation for payment for piano or its cartage.
There can be no substitute for the Yamaha CFX – 9 foot concert grand piano without the explicit approval of the Tour Coordinator for Chick Corea Tours Management, Inc. If a Yamaha CFX – 9-foot concert grand piano is verified to
be unavailable, the Chick Corea Tour Coordinator may assist you in choosing another suitable piano. Approval for any substitute piano must be confirmed in writing from the Chick Corea Tour Coordinator.

TUNING REQUIREMENTS

The master concert piano technician who will prepare the piano and provide concert standby service for Mr. Corea will be designated no less than fifteen (15) days and preferably thirty (30) days prior to the show date. The piano technician’s name, phone number and email address will be given to Producer’s staff at the time of designation. The designated piano technician must respond via phone and email and acknowledge the technical needs for Mr. Corea for the piano preparation and for show- day standby piano service. If translations of the piano technical needs of Mr. Corea are needed for a non-English speaking piano technician, the Promoter/Purchaser must translate the piano technical documents appropriately.

1. (i) Once the concert piano technician has been designated and interviewed, has received and understands the technical requirements for Mr. Corea, especially the tuning technique of “pounding in the strings” and “pin setting” for tuning stability, every effort must be made to use that designated concert piano technician only. Do not replace the designated concert piano technician for any reason before the show date. Replacement of the designated piano technician can subject the promoter to an additional fee of five thousand dollars ($5,000).
2. (ii) The piano should be delivered and positioned on the performance stage at least one day and preferably two to three days before the show date to allow the piano to acclimate to the new venue. Every effort must be made to get the concert piano into the show venue in advance of the show date. Concert pianos delivered to the show venue the same day as the show suffer tuning instability and every effort must be made by the promoter to avoid this problem.
3. (iii) Two full tunings and a touch up tuning at intermission will be performed by the designated piano concert technician on the show day. The tuning of the piano must occur prior to the sound check on the show day. The second tuning must occur after the sound check, just before the show. A touch up tuning must be performed at intermission. Pitch does not matter for this show. Tune the piano to its current pitch. Any other specific instructions for pitch variation, if any, will be given to the promoter and the piano tuner in advance of the show.
4. (iv) On the morning of the show date or prior to delivery the piano’s voicing must be also checked through. Mr. Corea prefers an even and slightly bright but medium, standard, classical style voicing. Bright, hard, glassy and shrill pianos are not acceptable to Mr. Corea and must be re-voiced before show time. The piano should be checked for regulation and lubrication to its factory specifications. In order to keep the tuning of the piano “fresh” for the show, the piano should not be tampered with, moved, or played by anyone but the concert piano technician or those specifically authorized by the Producer’s staff or stage production staff.
5. (v) Any changes to the piano that Mr. Corea requires must be made prior to show time. If Mr. Corea needs the piano voiced to a softer tone or a more even tone it must be done after sound check. Final show tuning of the piano must be done on stage just before doors open to the venue. Its final performance position cannot be moved after this tuning takes place.
6. (vi) Temperature, humidity and lighting on the stage should, at the time of piano’s delivery, be adjusted to resemble conditions that will exist during the concert and thus minimize the changes in the piano’s sound board, strings, hammers, wood frame, springs and other parts which sometimes occur from changing atmospheric temperatures and conditions.

CHICK COREA TRIO (Corea,Cohen & Gilmore)
CURRENT 2016 INITIAL_________ PAGE 14

1 Like

I had the pleasure of going to see Chick in concert with the Electric band II tour, of course a wonderful concert.