Radiohead

I lived in Chicago in the early-aughts and I saw the real-life scene in High Fidelity where Jack Black ridicules that guy for liking latter day Stevie Wonder but about Radiohead: this poor, innocent kid asked the counter at the record store most likely modelled in the film if they had Radiohead and no less than 3 of them scoffed at the question. Let people live, good lord.

2 Likes

The thing about that song though is that it has a fantastic build up and ending.

1 Like

I know! It was just brilliant for winding my mate up about them leaving you wanting to slash your wrists.

He took it well to be fair. And certainly took no shit from the local Oasis fans thatā€™s for sure.

Ah, the three best bands of the 90s: Blur for the knobheads, Oasis for the dumbasses and Radiohead for the wimps

1 Like

I left them to it in the 90s and stuck with Pulp, Super Furry Animals and Eels.

Was actually Kid A/Amnesiac that converted me to Radiohead

3 Likes

I donā€™t know must be a British thing I liked all of them and so did most of my crew (though Oasis far lessā€¦but certainly not when Noel was on form).

Yeah, the rivalry between the three (mostly between Oasis and Blur, as Radiohead came a bit later) probably gets lost to an american.

Plus the rivalry was fabricated by the media

1 Like

Wasnā€™t that whole rivalry made up by the British press?

Edit: @craig :handshake:

1 Like

Hah, well it was amplified by the media but Blur and Oasis were knee deep in it themselves. Radiohead, not really but I do remember there being a stereotype of fans of each.

No, Oasis and Blur really did do their best to outdo each other.

No, they played it up because it meant more Ā£Ā£Ā£

1 Like

But that was part of the game back in the day - finding your tribe. Thatā€™s no excuse for poor behaviour where thereā€™s a clear power imbalance, but having a banter with your mates about musical taste is part of the fun. These days there donā€™t seem to be tribes anymore like there were from the 1950s to the 2000s. In a lot of ways thatā€™s a good thing, but the easy availability of music has helped blend and atrophy genres so much these that music (particularly rock) is often either wilfully formulaic or a potpourri of slightly beige.

In the olden (but not necessarily good old) days mods hated rockers, punks hated prog, indie punters hated alt rock, techno nerds hated house. etc. etc. Each tribe had its own rules as to what constituted good music. I found it all quite exciting as I loved it all.

6 Likes

Right. Like, I thought both later admitted they had nothing to do with it. I know Damon definitely said as much.

1 Like

Iā€™m one of the dumbasses who loves Oasis.
Strangely one of the few who thinks their later albums in the 2000s were the better ones.

Also really like some of their solo efforts

Similar with blur. I thought think tank was their best album

1 Like

Damon is lying. Both bands played it up and publicly attacked each other to hype their own releases. Blur, coming from a middle class backround probably didnā€™t take it that seriously but Oasis were dead serious and really wanted to beat them in record sales and popularity. It was a class war thing for them, while Blur were just going along with it for fun and because it made the papers write about them more.

Hm. Ok.

Not just for them, I have noticed. Someone in another thread said Radiohead fans were headed for the guillotine. :eyes:

1 Like

100%.

Plus finding your feet with the type of music you like was kind of more difficult ā€œback in the olden daysā€. Like you had radio, top of the pops, MTV if you were lucky and then NME/Q reviews to guide you. Most of my close mates have some similar tastes and we enjoy an awful lot of the same bands but each of us have at least half a dozen or so we love that are pretty unique to only us.

Would make an interesting Venn diagram actually!

The Mercury Music Prize 2000 & 2001 switched me on to a lot of stuff too. Pretty sure Radiohead were nominated for the 2001 prize with Amnesiac actually.

Iā€™m the opposite - massive Creation Records fan and then they went and signed Oasis, sold out to Sony and dropped the best guitar band of the 1990s who were just about to release their best album.

I hold Oasis responsible for the fact that Adam Franklin isnā€™t a multi-millionaire with his own private island.

SwerveDriver - Ejector Seat Reservation

4 Likes

Maybe Americans watching Nirvana and Dre switch top spots on MTV in our formative years had something to do with it.

But then of course came Max Martin and his nubile teens and all knives were out.

I like it better now where people can just enjoy their music in peace.

1 Like

I fucking love Swervedriver! Well, the first two albums. I donā€™t get Ejector Seat Revervator or 99th Dream at all. But like Mezcal Head is one of the best rock albums of the 90s, so many great songs and interesting guitar melodies. They played a lot with alternate tunings, with two guitars both doing their own thing but working so well together. Great, great band. The new albums arenā€™t too bad, maybe a bit boring but solid stuff.

And yeah, Oasis and Blur and subsequently Radiohead kind of killed indie rock in the UK.

2 Likes