Radiohead

Maybe this can change your mind on EJR - so many great things going on in this song. Need to listen in high fidelity though for the full Alan Moulder production experience.

Iā€™ll have a new listen while running, I remember it just not being as heavy with the riffs as the first two.

Not an Oasis fan at all (I thought the Beatles were shit, so Iā€™m hardly going to like a Beatles covers band, am I) but I have a lot of time for Noel Gallagher, I think heā€™s fucking hilarious.

I think there was definitely an element of class consciousness about Radiohead. People would call me a wrist slasher for listening to Radiohead, but usually nodded reverently when talking about Joy Division (who lets face it, were far more depressing).

1 Like

Heā€™s so fucking funny especially when heā€™s shitting on Liam.

3 Likes

Yeah - definitely more melodic and cruisy than their first two. It was their ā€˜big transitionā€™ album to escape their shoe-gaze-meets-stooges reputation (hence the orchestral intro called ā€˜single finger saluteā€™). For me this and their debut were the best. Mescal Head was patchy but had some amazing tunes.

And saw them tour this album in about 1995. It was my favourite gig ever until I saw Radiohead on their OK Computer tour in 1998. Was never a big Radiohead fan until I saw them play live on that tour.

Yeah, I get why they did it but as Iā€™m a huge fan of both shoegaze and stooges, they kind of lost me with that transition. Iā€™ll listen to it once more tho, see if I can find something more to like now that Iā€™m older.

1 Like

Anyway the best British band of the 90s was Elastica so you can all fight it over who gets 2nd all you want.

1 Like

Bolt Thrower. I have a soft spot for Therapy?, too.

I donā€™t like to tell anyone but I love Troublegum so much! :sweat_smile:

Perfect album IMO. There hasnt been that many hooks on an album since Singles Going Steady.

1 Like

I was deep into british musical exports of all types, of all forms and shades, devouring overpriced issues of Select and Q at bookstores (and when I had enough to buy one, at home) until one day there was mention of this GOLDIE and this TIMELESS and full stop me and drum & bass eloped togetha 4eva

There is just something special about Britain and the music she shares with the world.

6 Likes

ā€œAnd who bloody chokes on their own vomit these days? Nobody! Nobody!ā€

2 Likes

This is my story, too!

:heart_eyes:

6 Likes

They also fucked up the release of Munki, which was one of the best Jesus and Mary chain albums since darklands imo. It was also their last until the reunion, and I wasnt a huge fan of that come back album. Iā€™ve had tickets to see them perform Darklands for about 2 years. I saw them do psychocandy and itā€™s probably the closest Iā€™ve heard them sound in a live context to the magic they captured with upside down/psychocandy days. Shame Bobby wasnā€™t drumming still.

I loved swervedriver too, and Loop, Mudhoney, Spiritualized where one of the best 90ā€™s era bands, all their best albums came out during the 90s. I always loved both oasis and blur as a kid, but the first two oasis albums and some of noels stuff from back then is all I can really take these daysā€¦they where always a better live band at their peak, but obviously alot of simple music, shitty drugs and walking like a manc chimp wanker. I appreciate blur more now, and I saw them do their final show at leeds when they released Think Tank, they were fucking superb.

Finally, I met one of my first girlfriends at a superfurryanimals gigs when I was 16, and again theyā€™re so underrated. Rings around the world was such an epic, gorgeous piece of art. I still listen to pulp as much as JAMC, MBV most of the creation stuff because lets face it, pulp where an actual working class band, that had good posture, good dress sense, and wrote waaaaaay better music than oasis/blur the verve put together (although, early Verve - man called sun, A storm in Heavenā€¦fucking outstanding stuff)

Edit: Iā€™m aware that not all those bands where creation bands, I just wanted to respond to a few diff people so I apologise for being a bit all over the map.

Also, just to add - I remember, and detested the way that bands like Oasis or fucking Black Grape would say shit like ā€œWeā€™re proppa fuckin northern int that right our kid, ya fuckin cunt, we donā€™t do that radiohead shite, we just play fuckin rock n roll, support man city, ave the odd scrap and hang out with the fuckin laaaayba paaaaaartyā€. Iā€™m a northerner, some might say, from the actual fucking North as opposed to the middlandsā€¦and I donā€™t walk about like a pissed up chimp in a parka, with a chip on my shoulder. I had a radiohead hoody when I was a kid and I got into a couple of actual fights over it. Was a success with the girls though, so whoā€™s laffin now eh? ya shandy drinkin oasis cunts (for the record, my mam is from Manchester, but she moved to Newcastle, in the North. Iā€™m only fucking about so simmer down la)

Also, Iā€™m still waiting on my Kid a mnesiac tape set to turn up.

Yeah, fucking hilarious the things people will fight you over.

I was a massive bellend as a teenager and my personality never really caused me a black eye. Pop on a Radiohead hoodie though, youā€™ll have the 90ā€™s knobheads out for a fight flocking round you like flies round shit.

2 Likes

Itā€™s out!

7 Likes

How to Disappear into Strings is sending me into another dimension

4 Likes

I just want, like, 5 discs full of "Untitled"s

1 Like