Radiohead

Nah I don’t think so, they where defo heavily influenced but that’s a different thing entirely. Closest warp related band I can thing of is Seefeel. They did what all good bands do and opened their minds to new ideas for construction and composition. Not trying to be a dick btw, I see the connection but I think of them as their own musical thing entirely.

There is no such thing as a Warp band.

You wanna claim Thom solo is pretty much watered down Warp, I would have little to say to that. But afa Radiohead is concerned, Warp is one of many very desperate influences. I doubt anyone aside from Thom are really into Warp anyway.

Huh? There was definitely a Warp sound back in the late 90s / early 00’s.

Warp band There was no Warp band, only nerds in their bedrooms on their Ataris. Radiohead is a capital B band.

You could say Pierre Schafer musique concret (sorry for butchering the spelling) weird ambient stuff like coil and main (‘guy from the band Loop’s solo) and many more

1 Like

Not my words originally, but I see we’re now splitting hairs :wink:

Those were all influences for most experimental electronic producers in the 90s TBH, so “warp sound” was influenced by them, too. Well, Coil and musique concrete.

The band thing is my fault, wasn’t meant to be 100% literal, but warp defo had actual bands such as Seefeel. I knew 2 of them. The warp sound thing is true but I still don’t see them being related outside of influencing an already extremely musically literate group

Such a silly argument. Thom has been pretty open about the influence of Warp artists amongst many other influences.
I can totally get why if you are not bothered by the emotional/song aspect, you would rather listen to Ae et al.
But for others the distilling of those influences and combining it with their excellent songwriting was pretty amazing.
Not everyone has to like everything equally all the time.

5 Likes

I beg to differ.

Tee hee I totally forgot about them. Haha the futureheads (from Sunderland as much as I pains me to admit) where a better live band. I used to see these lot all the time. The hounds of love cover :slight_smile:

2000, so couldn’t have been an inspiration.

But I did forget about Seefeel. My point is that Warp is not known for the dynamic between 5 musicians playing instruments in a room together. I think that’s important distinction if we’re going to have pedantic arguments.

1 Like

Also !!! who are well underrated

1 Like

That band is the shit.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s jus not the same thing, and kid a was influenced by jazz and Johnny Greenwood’s exceptional taste and ability as much as any warp artist

Edit !!! Are fucking blinding, right !?

3 Likes

Looking back from now, I wonder about this. I think there was a Warp attitude, but not a sound. The label’s top acts all sound very different from one another, to me, now.

1 Like

I think you might have to look deeper into their catalog for it. Richard D. James said in an interview that part of the reason why he stopped releasing music, and specifically why he hated being on Warp was because he was annoyed that he was considered part of the “warp sound” and that the thought most of the other artists on warp at the time were unoriginal and bland.

I thought that was mostly because of legal issues around a divorce. Perhaps that was an Aphex media story :wink:

But I hear your point. I didn’t dig as deep into the label as others may have.

What he said in interviews was usually not the whole truth, or true at all, hah. Point is, there definitely was a Warp sound since both the interviewer and Richard D. James talked about it, whether it was really the reason he took a break or not. But I think there is a grain of truth there, as his style was widely imitated at the time. By Radiohead among other :stuck_out_tongue:

I can only imagine how annoying it must be when other musicians “reinvent” themselves by copying your style.

I haven’t listened to those albums in a long time, have both on vinyl so maybe time for a spin. Although, I would say they were some of the first ‘electronic’ albums I listened to, among others, back when I was first getting into electronic music. I didn’t mind OK Computer, some guys at my school were absolutely bonkers for it, I was more into Tool at the the time, they really seemed like two ends of spectrum at that time - Brit / US, Rock / Pop type thing, both arty. I remember being at a party once and some guy explaining to me his whole thing about what Kid A and Amnesiac represented, I gave those albums much more attention after that, and gave OK Computer more time too. For a long time they were staples in my Discman.

In Rainbows onwards is really like a new era of Radiohead I feel, one where they just seem really comfortable in their shoes, still a band, but beautifully weaving into electronics as they need, and still writing total classics. I feel even their most recent songs are some of their best, but I have a real hard time convincing my friends who are Uber into Pablo Honey and Ok Computer of that. Some just never crossed that boundary with Kid A and and Amnesiac and stay back with the Bends and stuff like that.

Just a truly wonderful, magical band. Saw them live once, was right up the back in the stadium but it blew me away

5 Likes