Range of samples for random playback

On the digitakt, I have multiple types of hats with various parameter changes or maybe from different kits entirely. I can use an LFO to randomly playback one of my loaded samples BUT I’m not clear on how I can restrict it to a specific range of sample slots. For ex. on my kick track, I only want to randoly select kicks to insert, and then so on for openhat/closed etc. Does anyone have a good solution beyond parameter locking?

I think with an LFO if you have say 9 samples that you want to cycle through, you could load them into consecutive sample slots and select the middle sample. So if you have the hats in slots 1—9 you would select the one at 4 as the sample for the track. Then set a random LFO to sample slot and adjust the depth/speed etc. until its just cycling through that range. There’s probably a more precise way to do it but I just do it by ear.

1 Like

yeah that makes sense. you have to reorganize your samples in an existing project…not ideal but probably the only solution.

Although there’s probably another way of doing it now with the new OS 1.50 update!

1 Like

Sure ! Lfo on Slice Select.
I used it in these :

Round Robin, with lock trigs lfo speed 0.

6 Likes

I’ve got to try that arp trick, looks cool!

2 Likes

if you use lfo S&H , yes … set it to mid point and use a depth of 3 or 4 (so its going up 3 or down 3 in terms of the sample slots)

if you used a ramp lfo, put your orignial sample slot as 1, and ‘ramp’ up .
the depth would be about 8 or 9… as its going up 8 to 9 slots.

the speed value will detirmine how quickly the new sample slot is selected…

if you want a way to visualize this stuff, use ‘sample start’ as your destination and then open up the sample waveform view , and watch where the line moves to each time the sample is triggered.
increase the depth value and you’ll see the white line use a wider range across the sample when it is triggered.

2 Likes

IIRC for Slice 1-8 randomness I use Slice 5 as mid setting, lfo depth 4 (random hold).

1 Like

wow thanks for sharing @sezare56! Also appreciate the feedback @re5et, I’m just getting to the point where I have some intuition (not the best :slight_smile: ) for how to choose the parameters for the LFO in a musically interesting way. The new update basically addresses so many things, this box feels limitless at this point hahaha

1 Like

Still limited to 8 mono tracks. :wink:

1 Like

just resample :slight_smile:

mono might be the only thing separating it from being the perfect sampler, as close as it feels sometimes