RE-303/Octatrack midi question

Any one else here having trouble with legato notes on the 303 using the Octatrack midi channels?
Whenever I trig a note with the OT paused/stopped the length of the trig is what I will set it to, but when the OT is playing, they get cut short? Makes it impossible to do slides on my 303.

Haven’t hooked up my RE-303 to an Octatrack, but I have used a fair bit of MIDI with it.
How are you controlling it exactly? Just sending clock or MIDI notes?

Off the top of my head I would guess that the Octatrack is sending MIDI notes from its audio channels that interrupt the 303.

I haven’t used this exact setup. (no RE-303)… but with any synth that does legato with overlapping notes (like the Moog Grandmother) you need to use two midi channels when sequencing with OT. So, use one midi track for some basic notes… and then another track (same midi channel, obv) for the slides. Make sure those notes are overlapping in time. What’s super cool… is that you can switch up the timing of that 2nd midi track… so you can get some non-looping sequences. IDM ACID :purple_heart::smiling_imp:

edit… I just read the details of your question. … When you go back and manually adjust the length of each trig on the OT, while it’s playing, do those trigs play longer? I’d like to know this too, bc I might get a RE-303 one day

1 Like

Do you have legato turned on on OT midi arp page?
With legato on it sends a note velocity 0 right after the next note trigs, with it off it sends it right before. Turning it on keeps my Little Phatty from retriggering envelopes…

2 Likes

Not really using the arp, just trigs on the sequencer and trying to set those note lengths to legato.

Didn’t know about the two midi channels required for legato tho. I’ll try that out :slight_smile:

When [quote=“SohoSix, post:3, topic:83788”]
When you go back and manually adjust the length of each trig on the OT, while it’s playing, do those trigs play longer?
[/quote]

No, for some reason they just snap back to being short gates instead of what I had the parameters locked to.

Legato setting works regardless if the arp is on or not, same with transpose. I don’t know if it will get what your after but it’s worth a shot…

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I connected my RE303 to my analog four via the midi thru. It’s sending the clock but only the notes from track 1. Checked the channel settings but I’m not sure which setting dictates which track is being used to send notes via midi thru.

Do you want to use the A4 to Sequence the RE303? If so, you have to go in the Note Setup menu (FUNC + NOTE) and tick the SEND MIDI option. Also, why are you using the MIDI Thru instead of the MIDI Out?

From the manual p.46 :

10.9.6 SEND MIDI

Will, when checked, send the tracks note on/off (NOTE, LEN) and VELOCITY, sequencer data to the Analog Four MKII’s MIDI OUT for control of external MIDI devices. The MIDI data is sent on the track’s MIDI channel that is set in the CHANNELS menu. For more information, please see “12.3.3 CHANNELS” on page 59.

• If TRK SEND MIDI is checked, the track sends the sequencer data both externally over
MIDI and internally to the tracks sound.

• Only sequencer data for note on/off (NOT, LEN) and VEL parameters are sent over MIDI.

While typing I figured out that I needed to adjust the Midi RX channel on the RE303. I was blindly looking at Elektron settings and got lost…
Also I was mixing up the setup. Was playing around yesterday with Midi thru but for this question I should’ve used the Midi Out of course.

Thanks for this though. Hope it will help someone in the future.

1 Like

more basic Re-303 question: how do i change the MIDI rec/trans channels? FUNC+CLEAR appears to get me into the config mode (per the Sonic Potion manual) but UP/DOWN don’t seem to let me actually set the channel itself as indicated in the manual