Reasonable price for this modular?

I’m looking to get into modular with a simple prebuilt system to start learning from. Does anybody know what a reasonable price for this setup would be? It’s available locally but I’m not well versed in modular.

37920014-8182-485d-8bfb-6e89f2052ba1 Mutable Instruments Plaits
• Make Noise Maths
• Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 (x 2 units)
• WMD/SSF Modbox (2 x variable LFOs, S&H, noise)
• WMD Javelin (ADSR/VCA)
• WMD/SSF MMF multimode filter
• TipTop uZeus power supply
• Moog 60hp unpowered case

1 Like

I’m not familiar with the WMD prices but I’d value the others at:

• Make Noise Maths - $250 (math’s holds its value well)
• Expert Sleepers Disting mk4 (x 2 units) - $150 (though I’ve saw it go for less)
• TipTop uZeus power supply - $80
• Moog 60hp unpowered case - $50

1 Like

Usually Plaits is never less than 300 $, but there are some cheaper clones of Mutable Instruments modules like uPlaits. You can find reasonably good evaluation trends at ModularGrid, as an example:

1 Like

The are asking 2000 aud for the complete setup but my transferable knowledge on non modular music gear has me feeling that it may not be priced too well.
Especially considering that modular is such a personal endeavour.

1 Like

2k? Tell him he’s dreamin’!

It’s not a bad setup, but I wouldn’t go for that as a starter rack. I recommend buying or building a cheap case and getting some real hands on stuff with no menu diving or alternative modes etc. May be my personal taste showing but I think the benefit of modular is having everything as close to knob per function as possible. Mutable Instruments stuff is an exception, but I still like not having to think about what mode something is in.

4 Likes

I haven’t added it up on MG, but it doesn’t sound like a real bargain. I agree that it’s a reasonable choice of modules (more so than in many offers of this type) but I also agree that you will have more fun and feel better about it if you choose your own. I don’t know what availability is like in Australia (even on top of the chip shortages which are affecting everyone). There are several of us here willing to help, I’m sure.

5 Likes

So 2k$AU is like what, $1400 USD?

Its not really overpriced, but its not a bargain either. They is basically asking for the top used value for the items listed. Really not a bad assortment of modules, but like others have said, modular is pretty personal and I believe that the money would be better spent, getting an even smaller starter set up, get your feet wet, see if you like it, and have some money left over to expand once/if you get into it!

This way you have the advantage of really thinking about what you want to do with modular and going about it a little more focused like. I just dont think that dropping a few g on a used modular system is the way to go for a starter/learner modular set.

If you really want to get into modular, I personally would recomend taking that money and getting a cool little semi-modular synth. There are tons out there, and if it clicks with you, they all play really nice with regular eurorack modules, so its an easy transition. Very educational as well!

3 Likes

That is a good idea from my POV, i have a B. 2600 and now added filters/lfos etc. with eurorack modues. Meanwhile I feel why it’s nicknamed “Eurocrack”. …

2 Likes

its a super good way to get started, becuase you already have a little direction with a lot of connections being normaled and what not. I think that I lot of the reason people get “burned” by eurorack is they get all excited and get an idea in their head that modular is something that it isnt, becuase they havent yet had the opportunity to see how modules interact in a familiar environment.

I was real dumb and bought a big case and lots of “cool” modulues when I started, and my first couple of months was basically staring at the cockpit to the space shuttle, like a deer in headlights, not even knowing where to start. I have since sold every single module that I originally bought becuase my journey ended up going down a completely different path lol

2 Likes

I would add that it’s way better, in my opinion, to get one Disting EX rather than two Disting mk4, and even better not to have any Distings. 2x Disting mk4 would be not at all enjoyable in a first rack.

You could instead get Pam’s, which is a fantastic module for a small system imo (as close to mandatory as a module gets), and it even includes some sequencing options for Plaits. It has the benefit of being just plain fun, which is not something I would say about the Distings – they’re packed with functionally but very fiddly to use (& I will never be able to memorize all of the algorithms, which means I have to read the manual every damn time I use my Disting EX). If you make that swap then I’d say this is a good starter rack. As is, though, this does not look like a fun setup to me.

haha - thanks for that - I haven’t thought about that movie in a few years!

According to ModularGrid, the estimated cost of the modules (without case) is around €1690 EUR or $2655 AUD. Mutable Instruments Plaits will be inflating that price as it is now discontinued. As mentioned, a clone will be cheaper.

1 Like

I’m not sure on pricing down under, but in the US it is common to see 10% off codes from retailers promoted on basically any holiday. Outside of that, just asking will very typically result in a retailer offering an equivalent discount any other time. So right from go, retail price is 10% greater than you could probably buy this new, assuming you find it in stock.

One aspect of pursuing modular is designing your instrument. Purchasing someone else’s system will probably result in choices you would not have selected for yourself. If I’m considering a system purchase that isn’t composed of exactly what I want, the seller is passing the resale of the unwanted portion onto me. They are also saving themselves the time and expense of making multiple individual sales, and the cost of shipping multiple sales if they don’t find a local buyer. Don’t discount the value this represents.

Buying from a retailer often gives you a local resource for dealing with warranty issues rather than shipping modules abroad to a manufacturer at your cost.

Add to that wear and tear / general depreciation, I typically approach used purchases with a ceiling of 70% retail for equipment in production. If a buyer is set on a higher figure the difference, for me, is often worth not inheriting someone else’s questionable usage history, no manufacture warranty, no retailer relationship, etc.

If this wasn’t my dream instrument I’d throw everything in a spreadsheet, total the retail cost for each part (this is complicated by parts that are no longer in production, but you can look at sales trends and make an educated guess at average value), then make an offer based on the figures. If everything is in very good condition I’d start at 65%. If you are looking to buy this on the sole reason that you are interested in modular, but don’t know where you want to start yet, and are considering this opportunity just because it presented itself, I’d really consider just walking away.

Unless you have specific goals in mind I wouldn’t recommend starting with anything smaller that 208hp for a case, then proceed slowly and really learn every module as you go. Modular is all about personal tastes, but I’d also in uninterested in most of the contents of that skiff. If I was looking for my first step into modular I don’t see myself putting together anything remotely like this.

I hope all that long wind helped at least a little bit.

2 Likes

This might seem high when you are starting out, but it is not. You will be thankful that you planned ahead. I lived with 64hp last fall, while away from my main racks, and it was barely workable. Even my 104hp skiffs, while capable of being used standalone, feel like they are missing this or that from time to time. The Tiptop Mantis is 2x104hp and is a very good starter case, reasonably priced and with good power.

Recommend going to the adds over at Modwiggler. Plenty of deals to be had. Saved a retyy penny.

As others have said, it’s not a bargain but not excessively priced either. Both WMD and Mutable Instruments have closed down so you might be seeing a pricing premium for those discontinued modules.

1 Like