Recommend me a tremolo pedal…

…for guitar and Fender Rhodes (ok, a Nord Electro).

So preferably mono & stereo ins/outs.

Cheers!

Strymon Flint. It’s a tremolo and reverb pedal that just sounds lovely, and gives you nice options of each.

4 Likes

:+1:t3:

That’s on my list.

Cheers!

OK, the thing putting me off the Strymon Flint is the need to open it up and flip the jumper to switch between mono input and stereo input. That’s a hassle for me. :frowning:

1 Like

If I understand correctly, the Strymon Mobius offers the same Trem options as the Flint (minus the reverb) with proper stereo ins and outs, no internal switching. You then do have to shell out for the whole multi effects behemoth, but it seems to tick your boxes otherwise. (and they do a nice black version at the moment). Personally, I love my Spaceman Delta II Trem. Lovely analog harmonic Trem, but mono only.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’d never really looked at the Mobius before. A bit spendy for me though considering the amount of use I’ll put it to.

Anything else out there to beat the Flint?

1 Like

Yeah, bit of an odd corner of the pedal world that does seem best covered by multi-modulation devices like the Mobius as mentioned: see also the GFI synaesthesia and or maybe the Walrus Audio M1 has enough cool other stuff going to appeal.

1 Like

Not tried it with line level, but they’re good guys to deal with and would give you the info

1 Like

Maybe a 2nd-hand Eventide ModFactor?

1 Like

Keeley HYDRA. Includes a stunning plate reverb as well

2 Likes

Just bought a used Hydra.

Let’s see how it goes.

3 Likes

I love the Dweller by Old Blood Noise Endeavors for this. Or maybe I’m thinking vibrato? Always get them confused. It’s a delay inside a phaser with an an LFO that makes things warbly and ghosty and goes from subtle to sci-fi like nothing, so maybe it’s of interest?

1 Like

Just got the dredbox terminator. Have played guitar through it so far and I like the depth of control. I’ll be using it for my synths ultimately.

Maybe the threshold control is the most special. I hope to use velocity as a trigger so I can put tremolo on or avoid specific notes with just the keyboard; as I play. My second favorite control is the speed ramp where you can dial in a ramp up or down to carry on through sustain and decay stages. This can also be done to the overall effect where you can fade the tremolo in or out.

Easy interface, 4 dials that double duty with one button press+hold. It’s a live box for sure, basically a synth lfo in a box- more featured lfo than my mother 32… Has limited cv connectivity which seems pretty handy to sync things up.

It does color the sound but on the guitar the effect was not detrimental.

Fairfield Circuitry Randy’s Revenge

A few ideas not raised so far. Mainly ones I’ve used for messing around with my guitar

I’ve enjoyed my Life is Unfair Synaptic Cleft. Huge amounts of connectivity and flexibility.

It displaced the Spectravibe, which has a really nice drive to it, as well as again about as many ins and outs as you might ever want. And tank like build

But more recently, I’ve been using the Lewis LFO box by Minta to drive a Dreadbox Lambda2 pedal and found it by far my favourite solution. Depending on what I fire the Lewis into it can use its ridiculous array of waveforms to affect drive, resonance, cut-off or the VCA. Not a trad tremolo arrangement, but way more flex and fun. Not sure there are any examples of that online but this is the baby

Finally, the Gamechanger Light Reverb pedal isn’t just a reverb, it has a very nice tremolo mode as this demo shows

I’m currently using three tremolo pedals in my main guitar rig but I’ll probably be paring it down to two soon.
The one doing the heavy lifting is the ehx super stereo pulsar. The thing is amazing and if I could only have one trem it would be this.
I’m also using the trem built into the source audio true spring. It’s pretty bread and butter feature wise but it might help me eliminate the next one on my list since its harmonic trem setting is pretty good.
The last in the trem chain is the walrus audio monument. I particularly like using an expression pedal to control the depth parameter. It replaced my jhs Kodiak because it has a harmonic setting and because you can assign an expression pedal to any parameter. Sound wise the two are on par with each other though.
Recently sold my jhs Kodiak. Great sounding pedal and more trem than most people would ever need. It wasn’t quite right for my setup but I could have made it work if I hadn’t felt like experimenting with other pedals.
I used to use my moogerfooger ring modulator for tremolo a lot. I have also used my ehx ring thing in much the same way. Many ring modulators can be used as tremolos, albeit limited/ basic ones. I wouldn’t recommend buying one for that purpose though, just a thought for anyone who has something like that already. I have several other ring mods that won’t do that too.
Honorable mention is one I’m keeping an eye out for, I’ve used them but haven’t owned one. The 3ms/ 4ms tremulous lune. There are tons of permutations of this pedal with varying features and parameters (and build styles and qualities) but at its core it’s a great tremolo circuit.
As you can probably tell I’m a heavy tremolo user. Over the years it’s become one of the most important effects for me for guitar and, to a lesser degree, organ.

1 Like